Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2014/10/20/news/01top_10-20-14.txt#.VEa02fnF-OY

"CHEYENNE - Wyomingites on Medicare will pay $1.5 million less than expected for health care in 2015 thanks to the Affordable Care Act, federal officials report.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services announced this month that the act has helped slow the growth of health-care costs under Medicare, including for prescription drugs.

A release from the agency says that, through June 2014, Medicare recipients in Wyoming have saved $16.8 million on prescription drugs as a result of the act. The act aims to close the "donut hole" in Medicare Part D prescription coverage.'

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Aren't you even a little bit embarrassed to link to a "news" article that reads like a handout from HHS? Slowing growth, and thereby claiming savings, has been the DC propaganda trick for many years. Reducing a percentage to be paid by the patient works great if the original cost stays the same. If last year they paid 47% of $100, but this year they're paying 45% of $110 it's an increase of $2.50.

There's not a syllable of independent journalism in the article, the "reporter" most likely went to stenography school instead.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
I wonder why Part D rates are increasing for 2015 by over 20%?

Could it be that HHS is lying?
I heard rumors that those folks on SS will be getting another very small increase this year.
Most of that raise will be taken up by the INCREASE in my Medicare insurance that will go UP by 27% starting in Jan 1.
Ya putting folks on Medicare is a good thing? NO NOT REALLY they already had better coverage at lower cost before this ObamaUncare came to be shoved down the American people.
Yes SOME may get a good deal but at what COST is it going to bring on folks that have been on Medicare for many years and are on a tight fixed income?

·
Banned
16,491 Posts
Just for the record, that amounts to $17 apiece for the 89,000 Wyoming residents on medicare.........that's for the year.
I won't muddy the waters further in saying where the money came from, or rather who.........

·
Voice of Reason
52,201 Posts
Most of that raise will be taken up by the INCREASE in my Medicare insurance that will go UP by 27% starting in Jan 1.
I read that Medicare Part B won't be going up at all in 2015, and the Medicare Advantage program I'll join next summer is still $0 over regular Medicare premiums.

·
Registered
21,234 Posts
http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2014/10/20/news/01top_10-20-14.txt#.VEa02fnF-OY

"CHEYENNE - Wyomingites on Medicare will pay $1.5 million less than expected for health care in 2015 thanks to the Affordable Care Act, federal officials report.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services announced this month that the act has helped slow the growth of health-care costs under Medicare, including for prescription drugs.

A release from the agency says that, through June 2014, Medicare recipients in Wyoming have saved $16.8 million on prescription drugs as a result of the act. The act aims to close the "donut hole" in Medicare Part D prescription coverage.'
Didn't read the article, but does it say how much more those taxpayers will pay for Medicaid for the poor or for subsidies for those on Obamacare? Maybe some day you will learn that government lies and this administration lies non stop.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
I read that Medicare Part B won't be going up at all in 2015, and the Medicare Advantage program I'll join next summer is still $0 over regular Medicare premiums.
Well good for you for CHOOSING the Level that has no cost. I CHOOSE not to have that level, MY CHOICE.
Doesn't change the fact the prices ARE going UP.
And there is a Slight increase in SS payments. Rumored like I said, and not officially released one way or another.
Social Security cost-of-living adjustments projected to increase slightly in 2015
Social Security benefits are likely to increase by 1.7% in 2015, slightly more than this year's 1.5% increase but still well below average increases over the past few decades, according to an unofficial projection by the Senior Citizens League.
Like I said this is unofficial but it looks like there will be a small one. Oh Big Deal as that will be eaten up by the increase in my Insurance costs

This was written just 3 weeks ago.

http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20141001/BLOG05/141009994/social-security-cost-of-living-adjustments-projected-to-increase

·
Voice of Reason
52,201 Posts
Well good for you for CHOOSING the Level that has no cost. I CHOOSE not to have that level, MY CHOICE.
We have two Medicare Advantage HMOs available in our area and neither have a premium. The only real difference is that one is administrated by UnitedHealthcare and the other is Humana.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
Once again, the devil is in the details. How did these savings come about?

Under the federal act, companies that make brand-name drugs must sign agreements with Medicare to take part in the Medicare Coverage Gap Discount Program.

The program requires the companies to offer discounts on brand-name drugs to people who have reached the coverage gap. Participants include the manufacturers of more than 99 percent of the brand-name drugs used by people on Medicare.

"These costs to the beneficiary decrease every year, shifting from 47.5 percent for brand name drugs in 2014 to 45 percent in 2015," Boucher said.

By 2020, she said, Medicare recipients will only have to pay 25 percent of the cost for both brand-name and generic drugs.
It appears the savings are achieved by the government setting the rates at which companies may sell their product to a certain group of individuals (senior citizens in the "doughnut hole").

One can expect that if the government forces companies to sell products to seniors at a loss, companies will do one of two things: they'll raise rates on other customers to make up the difference, or -- if it's a drug used mostly by seniors who qualify for the discount, like a blood-pressure pill or statin drug, and there aren't enough non-senior buyers to make it profitable -- they'll simply quit manufacturing the drug.

The Venezuelan government has tried price-fixing for awhile now, keeping the cost of consumer goods low because it makes the people happy. Or at least it made them happy before store shelves started empyting out! Recently Clorox closed its factories in the country, announcing that it was pulling out because the government price mandates didn't allow it to operate at a profit. Toyota closed its factory earlier in the year.

Don't think it can't happen here.

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
Wouldn't it be really cruel if it were going up since the SS increase will be somewhere around 2%.

I find it interesting that this "wonderful" news of ObummerUNcare is even published. How many folks in the USA? How many are benefitting from this debacle? How many are worse off b/c of it?

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,913 Posts
Willowgirl is right. There isn't any new efficiency or positive reason for the savings. The govt strongarmed the pharma companies into lowering prices for the doughnut hole crowd, so they will just make up the difference on the rest of their customers.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
We have two Medicare Advantage HMOs available in our area and neither have a premium. The only real difference is that one is administrated by UnitedHealthcare and the other is Humana.
Yes I know, I can CHOOSE that level to get Zero monthly payment I choose NOT TO Still doesn't change the FACT for many the rates are going up~!
Like I said before.
HumanaChoice PPO That is the one and level that has not monthly premiums
I have Human Gold Choice PFFS ( Private Fee-for-Service coverage ) There are 4 Levels or 4 CHOICES you can make in the Humana Advantage Program. Depending on what is BEST for you.
And I had UHC once also, and they have Levels you can choose from too. In fact 18 miles from me there is one of many Call Centers for United Healthcare. Huge amount of folks taking calls employing many in my area, there is another Call Center 90 miles South from where I am.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
You see I picked that level PFFS cause I want to travel some.
And yes I know you said in one thread awhile back that is why a person wanted a medigap policy instead of a Advantage Program because you go Out of Network and the cost goes a lot higher.

Well in this PFFS level the Out OF Network fess and the In Network fess Are The Same~! I just didn't go back and state that in the thread. You seem to be stuck on one level the HMO PPO one. But other levels have many things to offer than just staying with that one PPO level does.
Apparently you have not read up on these other levels and what they offer.
And I DO know what I a talking about cause two weeks ago I got the huge booklet from Humana with IF ANY Changes in the fees INCLUDING side by side comparison of In Network and Out Of Network and the fees are exsatly the same.
So doing any traveling means that ALL fees I get in my area are also the same say when I go to AZ.
And THAT is the reason there is a charge for the monthly premium for coverage. Among others as well.

And I am not sure if you can get many OTC things for FREE from Humana on that level or not. I can.
I can order up to 50 bucks a month each and every month for aspirins, toothbrushes, many pain reliever items as well. many diabetes items as well. As long as what you order does not go over the 50 dollar limit everything you order is at No Charge. You can REALLY get a years supply and more for many many items including Ibuprofen and many items to long to list here.

Also on that PPO side is the members hilt to the YMCA free? I can go at any time to a Y and Other fitness places for Free. Silver Sneakers is the card that Humana gives you to use.

You have three levels to choose form a 0 monthly fee, a 40 dollar a month one and a 124 dollar a month one for the Humana Advantage Programs.
Each offer different things depending on a person WANTS and NEEDS.
Now this was for Clark County, as you have to use what Zip Code you live in others areas MAY offer different levels and may also offer additional levels as well.
And also may have different copay and premium costs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts