Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not sure what is wrong with my stuff here, but it's starting to get on my nerves. it really likes to freeze up. it was put in july of '03. it's a 3 ton unit for a 1300 sq. ft. house.

last summer, i was doing uncle sam stuff (out of the country) and the weather here was very hot here, so i told the wife to have someone come out and look at it. the receipt says he added 1 lb. of freon. it froze up very soon after that. this year, it's been doing the same stuff.

both the condensor/ exchanger(?) inside and the lines outside freeze up. here are my thoeries.

the service guy was a bad dude...

i have a leak in the system...

the unit is too small for the house...

i'm hoping for one of the last two, i don't want to think bad of folks around here.

can someone give me an idea of where to go from here?

russell

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
There are three things that will cause your unit to freeze up, low or no air flow, freon too low, or freon too high. If your filter and coils are clean and your blower fan is working, then your pressures are probably off one way or the other. If it started last year after the service guy came, it's possible that he overcharged the unit.

Check your filter and coils first to make sure that they are clean. If so, then you need to have the pressures checked. If you don't have the equipment and know-how to do it, I'd recommend calling someone else to check it out for you.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Shut the unit off!! until you can get it checked.

If your condenser (outside unit) is icing up too, the compressor is probably trying to pump liquid refrigerant (slugging) and will kill the compressor in short order.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
If you turn the thermostat only off does the compressor outside shut off? If not, the main contactor has the points welded together.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If the're "welded" shut, pull the disconnect outside by the unit. You can still use the blower in the air handler. Or shut off breaker(s) and stop everything

1 - 5 of 5 Posts