Abuse of a dog. What would you do?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Randy Rooster, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a trailer park near my place. Yesterday I drove by the trailer park. It was pouring rain - temperatures in the upper 50's calling for the lower 40's by morning. In front of a trailer staked out on a chain was a dog. Sitting in the pouring rain - an obvious circle of mud around him where he had walked the scope of his tether many times. Out of his reach is a tiny plastic dog house, obviously too small for him to fit in if he could reach it which it is apparent he can not. An overturned bowl sits at his side. The whole scene really tore at me. I am an animal lover through and through. The trailer was fairly well kept - a decent looking automobile in the driveway. But all I could think about all nite long was that poor dog soaking wet in the cold, with nothing to block the wind. Should I call animal control or would I be out of bounds to do so? I saw the same dog staked out about a month ago in the same place. Should I intervene to try to make the owners do right by the animal?

2. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Duh, Why didn't you go to the people at the trailer and tell them to take care of their dog? If they refuse to take care of the situation, then call animal control.

3. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

I admit that I did just what you are contemplating only a couple of days ago. My situation was only a little bit different. We have been having night time temps of 15 and one of my neighbors has a dog tied up without any shelter. They also have a pup that runs loose. When my kids have picked it up out of the road and taken it back to the house, the owners will come out and yell at them. I figured that they just don't know how to take care of dogs. I called my local shelter and they told me to call a state hotline. I did and was lead to a website where I filed a report. Nothing has happend yet, but I am glad I did what I could.

As far as your situation. I would let the authorities handel it, you never can tell what someone will do if you try to talk to them in person. JMHO.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

4. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

Would you call the authorities if you seen a child tied out like that.
    Quit wasting time and get on the phone.

5. Brandy

Brandy Active Member

Call now.....and if that doesn't work, I wouldn't be above taking the dog myself and finding him a real home.

6. Bresias

Bresias Restless User

Definitely call, and follow up with the local animal authorities until you find out if something has been done.

7. Bresias

Bresias Restless User

Reminds me of a story the gal who runs the animal shelter locally told me. She obtained one of her dogs in Oregon (on a family vacation!) by "confronting" the owner and offering her 10 bucks for it. The poor dog was on a two foot chain in pouring rain. The owner was an 80 yr old lady, who said, "You want THAT dog? What you want that dog for?" She shook her head, and waved at the dog. "Pull up the stake and take it, I don't care" and shut the door in their faces.

Sometimes, how much they want the animal is evident in their treatment. Go ask to pay 10 bucks for the dog, and you'll probably get it for free.

8. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Please call - both the trailer park and the Humane Society. Abuse like this should not be tolerated.

9. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

if you are concerned for the dog, make sure you find a way to circumvent the authorities. the dog will just sit in a pound until it is put to sleep. just my two cents.

10. ThriftyMa

ThriftyMa Active Member

I would join free cycle and see if anyone had a dog house for the dog.

11. wombatcat

wombatcat Well-Known Member

I was in your shoes once, and what I did was tell the people that my sister's dog just died, it looked just like that, and I NEED to get a dog that looks just the same for my sister.....would they sell me the dog? (that way you avoid conflict and can still help the dog)--chances are that if they care so little about the dog right now, that the money will talk and you won't have to be fearful....

12. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

I agree with finding a "safe" way to interact with the owners.

If you're guts-y enough (I can be TOO guts-y at times...), you can simply make up a sad story- something like "oh, SO sorry to bother you, sir, but I just HAD to stop! Is your dog a male or female? REALLY?? Golly-jeepers, she looks just like MY poor little Fifi who died last year! You wouldn't consider selling that dog, would you?"

If the answer is "no", you can at least "play dumb" and say things like "oh, gosh golly jeepers! I think the chain is stuck! I'll help you move the dog house closer to the precious baby, if you like! No, no, no,no, it's NOOOO trouble at all! (while grabbing the dog house your self and dragging it).....etc....etc.....

If all this fails, then use the sherrif's dept (county sherriff as opposed to the city cops- city cops will ignore you/ pass you off to animal control, but COUNTY SHERIFFS will file an actual report AND drive out there with you to view the dog!)

Good Luck!! Get Brave!! Do some good!!

13. wombatcat

wombatcat Well-Known Member

Great minds think alike, Jill!

14. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Way back when I was 15 or 16 we had a neighbor who, every night when he came home would kick the bejeesus out of his dog as it came up to greet him. I figured anyone who would treat an animal like that was the yellowest coward on the face of the earth. So I went down there one night as he came home, walked up to him with a razor strop in my hand and told him if I ever saw him kick that dog again I would skin him to within an inch of his life with the strop. He believed me and I never saw him mistreat that dog again. Of course things were a bit different in the '60's and I don't recommend a confrontation like that now, but it sure worked then.

15. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

Around here you don't really need to worry about being shot at. So adapt as needed.
    I also came across this situation recently- only it was a golden retriever in a cage that couldn't even stand up/turn around in, left outside, and there are some crazy wild animals here.
    I knocked. I will NEVER knock again. Now they know what you look like, right?
    We are not serviced by any bylaw officers or shelters, noone will come out and I actually never thought to call the cops till now...
    I went back with friends at night to steal the pup- but they changed to keeping the cage in the backyard. Nothing more I could do.
    What I'm saying is if nothing happens with the authorities (they can't do much), and if you feel comfortable, steal it and find it a home. I regret not doing that.

16. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Why would someone that sees abuse, automatically be assumed they want to take the dog home? I wouldnt offer to buy the dog just because I saw it being abused, I might call authorities etc but I cant afford to take every dog I see on a chain, home.

17. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

You don't have to keep the Dog. Buy it, get it the heck out of there, and then find it a new home.

18. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

What I should have mentioned is, when I talked to the owners of that retriever I offered to take it, even buy it. Of course they said no, it was their family pet.
    Don't waste your time/money. There is no point in reasoning with people like this.
    I'm near a small town, if I stole the pup she would have know full well it was me who did it.
    So if you have no alternatives(or have useless authorities like here), go by at night with some treats, a leash, and BE CAREFUL.

19. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

Iddee, get a life, don't compare children to dogs. If your dog gets hit by a car and the vet says it's gonna cost 5 grand to save it you take it home and put a 25 cent bullet in it's head. With children you would spend every penny you had to save them and protect them with your life. I don't believe in animal abuse either, but your comparisons are absurd. Bottom line... a dog is a just a freakin' dog. Try not to be completely ignorant in any further responses. 1 childs life is worth more than 10,000 dogs lives for god sake. I know I sound like a big jerk, maybe I am but that's my opinion.

20. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

I would mind my own biz. Its their dog, their property.... IM so sick of people trying to impose their will on others (the great disease of america). Dogs are property, Its not your property to mess with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.