Absolutely awful

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Wolf mom, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

I went to my new feed store, open about 6 months and found it closed! On the door knob was an electricity disconnect notice! When I looked in the windows I saw an absolute mess. Feed & what was left of the stock scattered all over PLUS chickens and rabbits in cages with empty water containers & no food. Rabbits in hutches outside, behind a locked fence, with empty water bottles. The worst was 2 beautiful white rabbits had died. I couldn't see the brooders, but know they carry a lot of day & week olds. It was probably better I didn't see them. There was even a loose rooster!

I wanted to kick in the door, but went to the police station instead. What a quick response! That's a small town for ya'. A cop and 2 animal control officers immediately went with me back to the store. The cop contacted the owners who stated they were out of town and wouldn't be back until tomorrow! The officers confiscated all the animals and I wrote an wittness report. When there's dead animals, they said they treat it as if there was a dead body inside.

I'm still upset at what I saw. I hate to believe people can be so dumb and cruel.

2. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Probably better that they're closing down. How horrible -- but it's good that you were able to do something. Some people don't have the brains that they were born with -- and these people obviously qualify!

Tracy

3. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

What a shame, glad you did something about it.

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

go out of town and leave animals without water what the hell is wrong with people id like to put them in a chage without water

5. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

Uh, before we all get out the pitchforks and torches, maybe we should consider they paid someone to take care of the animals and they never showed. I have no idea what actuall y took place, and neither do any of you. Its just as easy and likely to suspect what i just said as to assume they left the animals with no water while they vacationed. The old saying , never attribute to malice what can be atrributed to stupidity.

You did the right thing in summoning the police, i believe though.
    At least to feed and water the animals.

Maybe a member of their family died, maybe they had to seek emergency medical treatment, maybe the person they got to take care of the animals didnt put the drinkers on right and they leaked, and didnt shut the cages well. Who knows.

6. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

You're a voice of reason, tsdave...but I'm getting ready my pitchforks and torches anyway, just in case...

7. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

I hate to see animals mistreated. That's why my husband and I have opted to travel seperatly. I have left different adults and teens in charge of the animals here when we used to travel for a few days and have come home to find things just not right. I know I am a little particular when it comes to my animals feeding at particular times and walks and playtimes etc. . I have just found it easier to just stay home. I know that if I am taking care of them they are treated and fed exactly how I want it done. Same if my husband is here. He takes care of them the way I want it done. I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to my animals and I have to live with it.

I am so glad you went to the police instead of just saying poor animals and heading home. I would like to know how many others did just that. I am sure there was probably a few. Thanks from me personally that you did something about it. Now at least the remaining animals were saved because of you!!!!!! :clap:

:rock: Thank You Wolf Mom!!! :rock:

8. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I am the same way about my animals. But these people may have paid someone to take care of their store. It seems like they wouldn't have just left their business unattended like that.

9. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

I'm glad that you took the time to report to the police. I imagine you saved the lives of a whole lot of animals. Good on Ya!! :goodjob:

10. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Way to go on saving the animals - it was the right thing to do. But those here who are voicing the opinion that someone may have been paid to take care of them and just didn't or any of the other options.

If however they just left them ... may they get locked in with no food or water! :flame:

11. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Hopefully there was some mishap and not just cruelty or stupidity on the part of the store owner. I'm glad you were able to save the rest of the animals. :goodjob:

12. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Sorry you had to witness that mess, but just think of the good you've done for the poor animals - they will be better off because you took the time to make a difference. Some people would have just walked away & shook their heads. Good for you - and shame on the owners of that store!

13. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

There is NO excuse for what happened in my mind. If you must leave your animals, you must put them in trusted hands, a responsible person who has proven his/herself to you in the past and who knows how to do things.

If somebody has died or become ill, your livestock still comes first and if you can't find somebody to take care of them for you, you cannot attend to the sick or the grieving for any extended length of time.

I live alone, but if I drop dead or am incapacitated due to an emergency, I have made several contacts who call or check on me daily, and so none of my animals will go more than overnight without care.

I guess it just comes down to those who know about keeping livestock, and those who have livestock for some fantasy they have about farm animals, or in this case, irresponsible people who should have never had a store that sold animals in the first place.

Things do happen, but it only takes a few ounces of prevention (by people who actually know what they're doing and what responsibility animals are) to stop tragedies like these. Now, whether or not one should be keeping animals in the first place is another question.

By the way, the electricity shut off notice, the abandoned store, and the condition it was in (whether or not it was left in another person's care) all amount to evidence that these people are deadbeats. Furthermore, anybody who has ever owned a small business knows that to succeed, there are no little get-aways, at least not unless you have somebody to care for the business that you trust as much as you trust yourself, and that is an extremely rare find.

Now I'll step down. :soap: If you haven't noticed, this stuff REALLY gets my goat!

14. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

"If somebody has died or become ill, your livestock still comes first"

No my family comes first, I will slaughter and maim any and all livestock
    which may to any degree help my family survive.

"you cannot attend to the sick or the grieving for any extended length of time"

I will edit my words here, consider my first statement.

15. RLMS

RLMS Well-Known Member

TSDAVE:
    How dare you use logic and reason to discuss a problem!

:nono: AFTER ALL-Doesn't:

Lynch-mob mentality keeps the heart beating and the pulse pounding.

Let's give them a fair trial and then hang them!!! :nono:

:rock: I thought it was "Innocent until proven guilty". :rock:

16. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

As awful as it sounds, problems with pet sitters happen even when you are carefull.

With us, it wasn't OUR family that had the death, it was the PETSITTERS family that had the death, and the teenager purely forgot for about a day and a half. THEN, she and her dad came in, fed and watered, and tried to tidy things up.

She was pretty upset that she had forgotten.

17. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm so sorry you had to witness that and so glad that YOU found the situation instead of someone who didn't care! I am planning my first real vacation in..... well i don't know how long it's been but it's been a long time. The most I ever do are over nights and once I was gone 2 nights with a bag of dog food in the feeder, a bag of cat food in about 10 bowls, every bowl in the house had water and the watering bowl at the well was left on a drip. The pigs ate well the night before I left and I scattered about a 1/4 bag of feed and treats all over the yard (and hidden in the tall grasses) so they would have food for at least another day.

However, I've got my first real vacation coming up in September and I'm going to be gone for 3 nights. I've got a young woman from the feed store that agreed to feed them all. I'm so nervous about it. I might just hide food all over the yard just in case. I know other people are capabable of taking care of them, but deep down inside I can't convince myself of that.

18. Kellkell

Kellkell Well-Known Member

I just went camping with my daughter and niece two weeks ago and had to leave my husband home to care for the animals. It was a four day trip and it was just too difficult to coordinate care for them. If we had a larger vehicle we could have brought the dogs, maybe another time. I have found that it is best to not rely on just one petsitter, its much better to get 2-3 people who can commit to certain times to come by just in case someone can't at the last minute. My husband and I went away overnight and had one person for saturday evening and another for sunday morning. Even though the person responsible for Sunday morning is also a pet owner and knows the responsibilities involved, they just didn't get up early enough and didn't get there until about 12 noon (when they agreed to be there by 8 or 9 am). Needless to say, one of the dogs had a poopy accident before they got there, and then they didn't even bother to clean it up. :grump: Now being that I have 2 rotties it was no small accident, but did they think it would have been anymore for me to clean after it sat a couple more hours? :rolleyes:

19. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

From what you wrote with the utility shut off notice and the dead and wandering animals it does sound like those animals where abandoned to me. It would seem it would take a few days for rabbits to drop dead from starvation or dehydration. So they must have been gone for a while. It also doesn't sound like they where able to give the police a local contact either. I am a little suspious that they where maybe looking to collect on insuarance theyhad on these animals? Blame their deaths on the power failures and make up for their losses. My cousin used to care for exotic birds for a pet store. She worked everyday feeding the babies so I would think that the chicks would need similar care, where was that person if they didn't just abandon their animals?

20. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

If your family is going through troubles, or you must attend to the sick or dying, slaughter, or having them put down, is a perfectly acceptable thing to do in such a situation [the animals, not the family member :) ]. The abuse comes from allowing them to slowly die of thirst or neglect.

(How would maiming them help anyhing?)