Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm just repeating what the vet told me. I have zero experience with anything like that.

·
Administrator
19,874 Posts
If she's usually somewhat uncomfortable, you really need to have your vet have another look. She may have foundered again.

I'm not quite understanding the overgrown hoof. I find anything that's been foundered needs really consistent trims.

When I check for heat, I seldom look for a thermometer and simply feel above and below the spot that concerns me. Does the area around the coronet band feel the same temperature as the shoulder, knee and further down?

I soak in warm water and epson salts if I'm concerned and because it's a benign approach that has no negative side effects.

Are you cleaning hooves daily? Thrush will cause a great deal of discomfort and happens quite often to anything with a misshapen hoof if the ground is moist. My mare would catch it ever spring and while treatment is fairly simple, it does require care.

You should be restricting her access to lush grass if she's been foundered before.

My other concern makes me 'that' person again. If you're having trouble with her feet, this is not something that should be bred. The additional weight she will carry late term may very well make a bad situation worse. At the very least, she will be quite uncomfortable near the end of her pregnancy and I don't feel it's fair to compromise her health because you want a cute baby.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
If she's usually somewhat uncomfortable, you really need to have your vet have another look. She may have foundered again.

I'm not quite understanding the overgrown hoof. I find anything that's been foundered needs really consistent trims.

When I check for heat, I seldom look for a thermometer and simply feel above and below the spot that concerns me. Does the area around the coronet band feel the same temperature as the shoulder, knee and further down?

I soak in warm water and epson salts if I'm concerned and because it's a benign approach that has no negative side effects.

Are you cleaning hooves daily? Thrush will cause a great deal of discomfort and happens quite often to anything with a misshapen hoof if the ground is moist. My mare would catch it ever spring and while treatment is fairly simple, it does require care.

You should be restricting her access to lush grass if she's been foundered before.

My other concern makes me 'that' person again. If you're having trouble with her feet, this is not something that should be bred. The additional weight she will carry late term may very well make a bad situation worse. At the very least, she will be quite uncomfortable near the end of her pregnancy and I don't feel it's fair to compromise her health because you want a cute baby.
^^^^ Wise words.

Please soak her foot if you are able. It'll also clean the area so you'll be able to see what's going on with that area better. Warm water is soothing so she might not make a fuss once you get her leg in the bucket. Please do not use iodine. Betadine is a topical antiseptic that'll work instead or even Blu-Kote, (Gentian Violet) that's an antiseptic, germicide and fungicide. Neither will sting like iodine.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Okay, I do appreciate all of your help! I really do! Lemme just clear a couple things up...
She was checked by the vet a month ago, and I'm going to have the vet take another look at her on the 28th. See if anything's changed. I can't get her in before then, that's the first available appointment dad can drive them in for.
That is what I have been taught, so that's what I did. And no, no heat at all. And no swelling (compared to the other leg)
I am. Just not that hoof. It's overgrown and so there isn't anything to clean underneath the foot. it is just overgrown hoof. Sometimes I lift it just for practice for the farrier. But that's about it. And the ground is not moist at all. They are in a shed so no rain gets in, it's just a dirt floor.
Yep. They are in a pen with zero grass, they get about 2lbs of hay twice a day. So 4 pounds a day. In slow feed hay bags.
I do understand that. And I thought about that as well. It will be another year before she foals out, and the farrier should be able to get her feeling better by then.
Please soak her foot if you are able. It'll also clean the area so you'll be able to see what's going on with that area better. Warm water is soothing so she might not make a fuss once you get her leg in the bucket. Please do not use iodine. Betadine is a topical antiseptic that'll work instead or even Blu-Kote, (Gentian Violet) that's an antiseptic, germicide and fungicide. Neither will sting like iodine.
I will try! You guys need to know that she is not the most well behaved donkey in the world. We have come a long long ways, but she still needs a lot of work. I will try and soak it tonight though.

This is the pen she's in...

·
Administrator
19,874 Posts
Has your vet actually taken images of the coffin bone? There is nothing that can be done without knowing exactly what the problem is.

Your determination to breed without knowing if she can remain sound or comfortable, so you can have a cute baby verges on animal abuse.

No responsible stockman would ever put their wants ahead of the wellbeing of their livestock.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
If your donk is a foodie, soaking her foot in a bucket may be easier if she's distracted by her food.

Keep trying - there's lots of good advice here.

Reactions: AbbySmith

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
If your donk is a foodie, soaking her foot in a bucket may be easier if she's distracted by her food.

Keep trying - there's lots of good advice here.
She does love her food! I guess I can try when I feed her next. I don't want to give her anything extra cause I'm trying to get her to lose wight right now. But good idea! Thank you!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Wouldn't it be more comfortable to wait inside on an easy chair?
The only thing I am going to say about this is that I am not 'waiting' for the horse to 'come' to me. I am waiting until I have the money to buy one and support one. I was going to sell the donkeys to buy a horse, but I decided to keep the donkeys cause I wasn't sure where they would end up, and if they would continue with getting Ruby's hoof better. I care about the girls, and wanted to make sure they have a good safe home with me. Even though a horse has been my lifelong dream, I have put it aside to care for the animals I have already commited to. I am not sitting inside complaining to daddy so that he will eventually buy me a horse. I am outside every day, taking care of the donkeys, and all the other animals. I am working as often as I can and saving up all the money that I can. I volunteer at an animal rescue and am learning all I can about horses and the care for one. I am solely responsible for the donkeys. Farrier, vet, feed, grooming, halter, checking them daily, grooming them daily, washing out water buckets, buying hay nets, etc, etc. And I plan to be responsible for my horse as well. Eventhough there is nothing in the world I would love more, than the opportunity to buy one of the horses at the rescue right now, I'm not going to, because I know she's not what I need, and it would be unfair to her. Even though she means the world to me, she deserves a better home. Just one of the many things I have given up to be able to have my own horse one day.

·
Administrator
19,874 Posts
That’s too bad. Wr is right. It’s irresponsible to breed a donkey that is lame.
My old girl had what I considered the ultimate pedigree and as close to perfect conformation one could possibly have. Although she was never lame,I refused to breed her because I had too many concerns about how a pregnancy would affect her.

Under ideal circumstances, so much nutrition goes into the foal that hooves need extra care and there is no true way to predict how hormonal changes would affect an already affected coffin bone.

I will say that any equine that's been affected by laminitis needs more frequent hoof care than normal. She absolutely could not wait longer than 4 weeks to see a farrier, 3 would have been ideal but 6 was courting disaster.

I absolutely wouldn't buy something like her again but she was otherwise perfect for perfect horse for the test pilot and she more than earned the extra care she required.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So true!! I'm not trying to make it sound like every one has to agree with what I'm doing. I know some people are going to think I am doing it wrong. I just want them to see where I'm coming from, and how much I actually have given up to be able to keep these donkeys. If I 'abused' animals, I would have sold them by now and not cared where they end up. I would have saved my money for a horse, and not been paying for the farrier every 4weeks. But I do care about them, so I have kept them, and put my dreams to the side. But I can still work towards them without waiting for daddy to make things better! Because believe me, 'daddy' is the only reason I don't already have a horse 😅😂

·
Administrator
19,874 Posts
So true!! I'm not trying to make it sound like every one has to agree with what I'm doing. I know some people are going to think I am doing it wrong. I just want them to see where I'm coming from, and how much I actually have given up to be able to keep these donkeys. If I 'abused' animals, I would have sold them by now and not cared where they end up. I would have saved my money for a horse, and not been paying for the farrier every 4weeks. But I do care about them, so I have kept them, and put my dreams to the side. But I can still work towards them without waiting for daddy to make things better! Because believe me, 'daddy' is the only reason I don't already have a horse 😅😂
There is a great deal of misinformation in your definition of abuse but I do understand your desire to gravitate toward opinions that mirror your own.

Nobody has ever indicated that you aren't trying to do things right but I firmly stand by my statement that you need to ensure you can permanently clear up the lameness before you breed and cause an animal to live in pain to meet your desire for a cute baby.

Letting any animal remain in pain long term is abuse, even if it is back by good intentions.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
So I sent some pictures of her hoof to the vet the other day. Vet says that the abscess has popped, and it blew up through the coronary band. Which is good I guess in most circumstances. But since the abscess is on the one overgrown hoof, the hoof pinches it as she walks :/ So she lays down a lot which isn't good. It would be so much easier if it had been on any of the other hooves, but of course it had to be that one.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts