Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed today that Ruby (one of my mini donkeys), has an abscess just above her back hoof.
How do you guys deal with abscesses? Got any tips? What seems to actually work? I've literally never dealt with an abscess before, so I'm open to all suggestions! I'll try and get some pics of it tomorrow or the day after. It's in a really bad spot, and she seems to be really hurting.
All tips and advice appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Since nobody who really knows has given you an answer for 9 hrs now, I'll at least give some general adivce-- Absesses need to be drained to heal. Sometimes they pop naturally. Usually they need to be incised. Antibiotics alone won't do the trick. ...

The antomy can be complicated near a joint with compartments and such. I'd hate to see you take your Swiss Army Knife and stab it, only to find you've cut an an imortant tendon or entered a compartment allowing the small infection to spread and becme a disaster...Or there could be a foreign body in there that has to be removed.

If it's bad enough to affect gait, call the vet.

·
Premium Member
21,010 Posts
An abcess is usually inside the hoof, and you call the farrier to pare it out if possible. Then poultice and bandage.
Soaking the hoof in a bucket with warm water and Epsom salts can help soften and drain it.

maybe a picture of what your donkey has going would be helpful If it’s actually above the hoof and not in it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will take pics when I get home later today and post them. It is right above her hoof. And it is affecting her gait, but only because it is above her overgrown hoof.
Yes I am dealing with the overgrown hoof.
But the way the hoof grows, it pinches the abscess as she walks.
She's going in to the vet on the 28th for an ultrasound so I can get the vet to look at her then. But that's a long way away.
I think there are definitely important arteries in that area, so I don't really want to pop it, but it does have to drain.
Maybe if I soak it twice a day in warm water and apply iodine to it? Would that help at all?

·
Registered
31 Posts
if its above her hoof, then it could be an abcess that worked its way to the coronet band. soaking in epson salts is helpful. i have never had to take one to the vet for an abcess..generally once they blow out, the pain is gone. maybe you have something else going on? pics would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
21,010 Posts
if its above her hoof, then it could be an abcess that worked its way to the coronet band. soaking in epson salts is helpful. i have never had to take one to the vet for an abcess..generally once they blow out, the pain is gone. maybe you have something else going on? pics would be helpful.
it could be a gravel but usually it bursts once it makes its way up to the coronary band.
Is there heat in that foot as compared to the others?
I don’t think soaking it would hurt and might help but without seeing it I’d call the vet or at least the farrier. And soon. If it’s an abcess it’s exquisitely painful and no point in making her suffer.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Since nobody who really knows has given you an answer for 9 hrs now, I'll at least give some general adivce-- Absesses need to be drained to heal. Sometimes they pop naturally. Usually they need to be incised. Antibiotics alone won't do the trick. ...

The antomy can be complicated near a joint with compartments and such. I'd hate to see you take your Swiss Army Knife and stab it, only to find you've cut an an imortant tendon or entered a compartment allowing the small infection to spread and becme a disaster...Or there could be a foreign body in there that has to be removed.

If it's bad enough to affect gait, call the vet.
Doc comes through again!!! Take the poor thing to a vet or have a large animal vet make a house call. My vet (I was a tech) and I made house calls as we were a large animal clinic as well as pets. This procedure has to be done under sterile conditions...that animal needs to be down when tis is done or you will be injured!!!! Jeez Louise.

·
Premium Member
21,010 Posts
@AbbySmith , are you certain it is an abcess and not some other kind of swelling? What does it look like? Is it in the coronary band?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@AbbySmith , are you certain it is an abcess and not some other kind of swelling? What does it look like? Is it in the coronary band?
Well, to be completely honest. I've never seen an abscess. I honestly didn't even notice it. My farrier saw it while he was trimming her hoof. He was trimming and said "oh, she's got an abscess here. You see that?" And that was it. So maybe it's something else? I honestly don't know. I tried getting pics last night but it was too dark to see anything. 😕

·
Registered
31 Posts
if its already blown out, you should just be keeping it clean and dry. if your farrier saw it, its blown out. she shouldnt be having pain unless you have infection going on in it. does it look like a wound, or just a swelling?

·
Premium Member
21,010 Posts
Well, to be completely honest. I've never seen an abscess. I honestly didn't even notice it. My farrier saw it while he was trimming her hoof. He was trimming and said "oh, she's got an abscess here. You see that?" And that was it. So maybe it's something else? I honestly don't know. I tried getting pics last night but it was too dark to see anything. 😕
Is your farrier an actual horse farrier or more of a cow, goat, whatever trimmer?
i think that if an abcess is above the actual hoof capsule it should have burst. If it was already burst she wouldn’t be in much pain. Either way, it’s odd for a farrier to say that and not suggest something, in my 35 years of experience anyway.
I think you should call the vet. It could be something worse, especially with the overgrown hoof. Has she ever foundered?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Is your farrier an actual horse farrier or more of a cow, goat, whatever trimmer?
i think that if an abcess is above the actual hoof capsule it should have burst. If it was already burst she wouldn’t be in much pain. Either way, it’s odd for a farrier to say that and not suggest something, in my 35 years of experience anyway.
I think you should call the vet. It could be something worse, especially with the overgrown hoof. Has she ever foundered?
This whole thread reminds me of the one of the gal with the neighbors who ignored the No Trespassing signs and tried to get in her house, etc. etc. ad nauseam awhile ago...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, here are some pictures, and to answer some of your questions:
My farrier is a legit farrier. This is his job. He doesn't do anything else. I switched from my old farrier cause he's actually really good!
I do not know if she has foundered before. The previous owner was very vague and it was a very big ordeal to get them in the first place so I don't know much about them.
I am young, I'm only 16.
Oh, and the reason she has the overgrown hoof. Is because she pulled the tendons in her pastern and now she has loosened the ligaments in her leg. Causing the coffin bone to sink down into the hoof. According to my vet anyways, the previous owner said it was because of negligence of the owner before her. Which doesn't make much sense.

Anyhow, here are some pictures. They're not the best. I did my best though, she doesn't like it when I touch it. And I don't have anyone to hold her for me, so...whatever!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,010 Posts
If the coffin bone is sunk into the foot that sounds like she might have foundered Badly in the past.The pics look like an abcess might have blown out. Is there and heat there when you touch it as compared to her other front foot? Is she hugely lame, like not putting any weight on it, or just mildly lame?

·
Premium Member
21,010 Posts
One of our old mods and member here (Tiempo) is a farrier and has donkeys. I just sent her a message and hopefully she can look in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
do you have xrays to confirm the rotation of the coffin bone? i honestly think her feet look really good for a donkey. just looks like an abcess that blew out the top. can you take her temp? that could show you if she is fighting an infection.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Her leg is not hot or swollen. I can't take her temp, I don't have a thermometer.
Vet said that the coffin bone sunk because of stress on the tendons (ie, tripped on a root, leg went down a hole, etc.)
She is usually mildly lame on that foot because it's overgrown. But she is still putting some weight on it. I feel like the main reason it's hurting so bad is because when she walks, the way her hoof is, the abscess pinches when she puts weight on it.
And I don't have x-rays of her leg/hoof.

·
Premium Member
21,010 Posts
A thermometer is one thing you should have on hand and luckily they don’t cost much.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts