About turning off the gas heater completely every day

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by michelleIL, Sep 29, 2004.

1. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

I was wondering, I'm not too savvy...I did go over and turn the thermostat down on my water heater...if I set it to vacation setting instead of turning it off, will that save me money too, and then when I want a shower turn it back up? Or is vacation setting really another word for off?
    Thanks!
    Michelle

2. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

It may use more gas heating back up than letting it idle.

mikell

3. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I think "vacation" setting means that the pilot light stays on, but the burner doesn't light. Mikell is right about it using more gas to heat up again each time. The best way that I know of to save gas is to put a cover on the water heater to add extra insulation, so the water stays hot longer when you aren't using any.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

You can adjust the thermostat so that the temp is not much above what you like to take a shower at. The hotter the water is that is sitting in the tank, the more heat is lost in between uses.

5. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

My 50 gal. electric WH runs maybe 2 hours a week in the summer. I turn it on right before I use the DW , which is only maybe twice a week. Uses 7 gal a wash. The rest of the tank will give me showers for 3 or 4 days.(I live alone)
    Last month I used 348 kwh with elec. stove and 2 window A/C units.