About to take the plunge

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Mr. Dot, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Howdy
    Am finally getting a pair of weiner pigs after threatening to for the past 3 years.
    Will be building a small shed and fencing an area for them this weekend. I'm fairly confident about the raising part but am dubious about the slaughtering and processing part. I hope to do that at home. I have books but time will tell on that. Pesky learning curve and all.
    Glad the forum is here and will be reading more regularly now with an occasional question or two.
    Weeeee, weeeeeee, weeeeee,
    cheers.

2. BDB

BDB BDB

butchering pigs is probly the most easy out of the larger livestock after you do the first one it and get the hang of its not bad it only takes me about half hour to kill clean and skin mine then i leave em hang over night cut em up the next day would never go back to the butcher keeps the cost down on raising pigs or any livestock good luck on the pigs

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Mr. Dot, come to this site when you are ready to butcher and I will help walk you through the process. Meanwhile, locate some good knives and a means to sharpen them. :)

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

yeppers, sharp knives a decent crockpot for the lard, build a smokehouse for the hams and bacons ....
    figure out a place youre gonna hang and kill it
    make sure not to feed the farm cats and dogs on the day of butcher , otherwise they will look like bellies on legs by the time your done :D , no kidding

pigs are easy to butcher though ,its the hoisting the buggers up thats hard that and scraping
    otherwise, youve eaten enough meat to know your basic cuts ...
    lets see whatelse, we have a cordless sawsall for cutting through bones, man is that handy
    plan a whole day for the pig, start with getting the water boiling, and then killing first thing in the morning
    unless your stomach is stronger than mine, plan something other than pork for supper , i suggest spaghetti , or make sub sandwiches ,
    while hubby and kids ate pork that day , after dealing with all the smells and what not , i couldnt handle it, and ended up having cup of soup and peanut butter sandwich , even the next day i was kind of iffy on it ...
    but thats me , and too , its not been a problem other times, but now with the preggers, its jsut my body is messed up :S

decide before you kill what youre going to save.
    for example, i know those who swear by pickled pigs feet.... and ive had them and they are ok , but wheni look at my pigs feet, all caked in mud and what not, the last thing im gonna do is eat it ..
    same with kidneys
    we save the liver, and the intestines for casings,sometimes i will pickle the heart, this time i didnt
    dogs loved the head and ears cooked in the fire we had outside for heating water for scalding as well as other bits and pieces we didnt want

honestly raising them is the easy part,
    but theres something to be said when you open the freezer to take out meat and know its never been off your farm from day one of its life ....
    thats hard to describe

5. Mr. Dot

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad I'll have a few months to consider the butchering. The feller I'm buying from says he skins too but I'm leaning toward trying scaulding if I can wrangle equipment and a spot. The books I have show a pig being lowered into a 55 gallon drum or being rolled into a drum cut lengthwise. I'm thinking I might look at trying an available salvage cast iron bathtub as the scauld bath. Seems like you could build a fire directly under it to heat the water. Details to be chewed on.
    The sawzall is a good idea. I have some decent knives and a couple of butchering saws that I go at the turkeys with.
    I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once they arrive. I'll have their pen and housing finished up this weekend and they are due in Monday or Tuesday evening. I'll know soon if I've bitten off more than I'm used to chewing. :rolleyes:
    At least I'll know what to with our whey and all those summer squash now.
    Thanks all.

6. FrogPond

FrogPond Entremanure

Mr. Dot...take notes for me - I am about 6 weeks behind you! :p

Here was a pleasant surprise for me... my local butcher offered to come and help me / train me when I was ready to butcher my first hogs. Kenny is the guy who would normally charge me to do it himslef, but he offered and said there was no reason that after one lesson I could not do it myslef. Now THAT is being neighborly! You might try to find an experienced hand to help one time as well. Just a thought.

7. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

I am new here!
    I am on my fourth year of raising and butchering, frogponds butcher help is priceless, i had a guy show me the first time, read the book's and I am beginning to get good at it. It is the year in between that makes things tricky.

you will over time learn what works and what doesnot work in the raising and converting your pig to pork

Raising Pigs Sucessfully is a great book on the subject!

8. God's worker

God's worker Member

Oh good I sure will be visiting the site for information since I also will be taking the plunge. My piglets will arrive in 1 day. Thankyou.

9. Mr. Dot

Well they're heeeeeere. I went down to check on them this morning after their first night and they were gone! Then after a little poking around I found them under a foot of straw. Whew.
    If nothing else, I'm certain they both have really good sets of lungs judging from what they had to say when I carried them to their pen. :haha: