About to kid and not bagged up??????

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Is it possible for a Boer doe to not bag up at all prior to kidding? We have a couple of does who have grown quite large and they were exposed to a buck but we didn't witness any breeding. They'd be due about now. They look huge compare to normal but there is absolutely no udder developement what so ever.

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine are Nubians, but they generally do not really bag up until the day they deliver. When they start waddling from their bags being full, I start watching them like a hawk.
    mary

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

each Doe of Any breed will do her own thing, some will bag up WEEKS ahead of schedual, some will bag up the DAY OF, and some will bag up RIGHT AFTER they kid, so dont worry about it, if they are pregnant they will have milk when they need it

4. Milk n' Honey

Thanks, that is what I wondered. I had one that bagged up 6 wks ahead. That was nerve wrecking.

5. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Hate to mention it but one of my Boers never bagged up at all (before, during and after delivery). The buckling may have gotten 6 ounces of milk a day from her. She's breed again and I'm just hoping that she can due her duty and produce reasonable amounts of milk in January 07. Tennessee John

6. Milk n' Honey

I even tried to milk something out to give me an indication and I got nothing except for some crystal clear liquid on only one side. My husband swears she is bred and I just don't know. Maybe she's just filled out b/c she's healthy! It isn't like she's wide. She would have to be carrying down more than out. She definently does look different, however, they are on hay and grain now and were only on pasture before. I've got another doe whom we purchased and now she looks like she's pregnant. I wonder if she was bred when we bought her?? She is sticking out on the right side pretty far and looks all lopsided like they do when they are prego. Weird. This is why I want to pen breed from now on. Then, at least you know a date and you don't have to worry about the signs and symptoms!!

7. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

if there is fluid in her bag then its a pretty good indicator she is bred,

as to a goat not bagging up at all there is something wrong with that animal and i would not keep any of her kids as replacements regardless of breed, i would give her one more shot and then cull her if she didnt shape up

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Keep in mind that many goats, especially Boers, can be big as a house and not be bred, or can be just early bred. I have a Boer doe that is HUGE and is just 2 weeks pregnant...not die til March. If you saw her, you would think she is due anytime. Boers get really fat on any kind of feed at all.