About to butcher a PBP

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by VAfarm, Oct 12, 2005.

1. VAfarm

VAfarm New Member

Were about at the point to were we are going to have our fist pig to butcher. I've read all the sites that I could fine. Windy Ridge Farm being one of the best, thanks. Up till this point we have always sold our offspring to pet homes and for good $$$ also. But I had about 5 litters born all at once and had a few pigs that did not sell right away. Figured this would be a good time to raise for meat as they would be ready to butcher this coming fall.
    Our pigs seem to be a bit on the smaller size then some mentioned on here, but I'm sure will supply some good tasty meals.
    Wanted to know if there were any last minute things we should know about or take into consideration? We have butchered only rabbits, and deer in the past. So we have the basic idea of what to do and have read books and sites of different ways.

I also wanted to ask someone about using the intestines for sausage casings? I mean is it worth going threw all the scraping (I like to use as much as I can and waist very little) or should I just get pre packaged cassings?

Any idea's on how to waist as little as the pig as possiable please give us ideas. We also are a dog kennel of large breed dogs so we have that treat option also.
    Like what can you do with the brain. lungs ex.......

2. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

there are great books out there try the library, my mom made lots of stuff from the mystery meats :p we are about ready to butcher our first batch of pbp :help:

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Traditionally pork haggis would use up the "parts". Think thanksgiving giblet stuffing, only instead of turkey giblets, use "them parts" and then use the stomach as a cooking pouch.Some love it, but personally I dont think its worth the time, and leave it out at a far away edge of the farm as an offering to the coyotes. Then there's tripe soup. Also probably an acquired taste kind of thing. In the big factories, all those "parts" go into hot dogs and canned potted meat. I bake up the whole head as a treat for the dog, skinning a potbelly's head is too much work for the amount of meat. The alternative would be headcheese.

Are you potbellies pastured or penned? if pastured you will like the meat better if it is aged.

Glad you liked the website