About to burn up

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by BeesNBunnies, Aug 18, 2005.

1. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

I'm about to roast alive in my beekeeping suit. I have to wear the full suit since I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to the stings(I'm allergic to wasps). I've never been stung by a bee...knock on wood. Yes I know I'm probably nuts for keeping bees...you wouldn't be the first one to say so. In the heat we are having I just can't make myself put on my suit and go work my bees. I really need to but I get so hot I get sick. Any suggestions? I'm a good seamstress so if someone can suggest a fabric that is bee proof and cooler I could make a suit. Help!!

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I would reccomend an allergy test. I am ALSO allergic to wasps, but NOT bees! :rock:

When it is this hot, I just wear a veil.

3. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been stung in my suit far to many times to believe it's sting proof.

I work early in the morning if I can, when it's not so blazingly hot. I may ignore the hives for a while if it's too hot for me to work effectively. I have available a squirt bottle of water that I can shoot into my mouth to stay hydrated.

And even with all that, I still come back in from the bee yard looking like I went swimming.

4. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

I probably have a bit of an advantage on the bee suit since I make my own. Even when I had an africanized hive I never got stung. Gee it's making me nervous bragging about never getting stung....better watch my p's and q's when I go out to the bee yard next! My current bees are a bit more aggressive than most italians. The fella I bought them from called them americans....said they may be a buckfast cross. There are some really dark colored bees in my hives and some nice light colored so the cross is a good possiblility. I'll probably requeen if we ever get a honey flow this fall. However I can't find fault with my queens. All my hives are booming with bees even though we haven't had any nectar for them to work in months. It's kind of hard on the pocket book to keep them supplied with sugar water but if we ever get enough rain to make stuff bloom I've got a heck of a work force to forage for me.

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Hot and dry here too. Just pulled a bunch of supers because I saw the girls were taking the honey from the uncapped cells down into the brood boxes. When I pulled the last one and carried it to the trucks tail gate I started getting sick. I also know what it feels like to look as if you went swiming with your clothes on.
    I found I need to resupply the body with some extra salt, mixed with water and carryed in a big soda bottle.
    The late golden rod is about to bloom but doubt there will be much there with out some rain.
    :D Al