Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We run a series of hoses from a spigot in the back yard up to the horse corral to fill the water trough and all the other animal water bottles. It's a stretch of about 300 ft and up a slight incline.

When I turn off the water at the spigot, whatever is left in the hose drains back down. Can someone tell me where the water goes? Surely it doesn't go back into the well. Does it?

Pauline

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
It shouldn't but some of it might. Cities (and you should!) often have rules that your faucets should have one way valves to prevent contamination of city (well) water. I would be more afraid of running your water at a very low pressure, and maybe the water backflowing if you raised the end enough. In irrigation the fear is dirt etc will be sucked backwards into the city (well) if no oneway valve.

Another good thing for the valve to do is selfdrain if you live in a place where it could freeze and crack.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,655 Posts
If you have a "frost free hydrant" it's going into the ground.

If its just a regular spigot, its probably leaking out the hose somewhere, since there would be pressure on the "incoming" side of the spigot that wouldnt let it back into the well.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
bad check valve...water back into the well.

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Are you pumping from the well when you need to use the hose, or is there water pressure at the spigot without pumping?
If you are not pumping, and there are no obvious signs of water leaking where the hose attaches to the spigot, I'd check along the entire length of hose for a slow leak somewhere.

·
Registered
845 Posts
think what you are asking, if you turn it off, now how would it be going back into the well. its off no water is gonna come from the well so how would it flow backwards through a cut off valve. bearfoot is right if its a frost proof one it drains out into the ground thats how it keeps from freezing in the winter time it drains its self when shut off. has a valve on the bottom that opens when its turned off.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
:) hehe

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I was just curious as hubby was having tummy troubles and since he drinks a lot of water my mind was working overtime.

I made a point of drinking more the last couple of days just to see if I came down with the same thing but I feel fit as a fiddle! Ds is ok too so I don't think it's the water.

Pauline

1 - 8 of 8 Posts