About that grossly obese groundhog living down in the hollow

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Aug 22, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:eek: Turns out I got a bear living down there in that hollow.

:eek: The neighbors told me today.

:eek: So. That grossly obese groundhog that I originally thought looked exactly like a miniature bear ... looks like it really was a bear.

:eek:

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

LOL. I have a couple of black bear cubs that pop out of the woods every once in a while. Cute, aren't they? Just give them plenty of space, and secure your garbage and the grain you feed your stock.

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

But I wanted to start cleaning that hollow out this fall and winter.

Won't I wake the bear up and become dinner for him? :waa:

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Maybe you can make enough noise that he'll just go somewhere he can get some sleep and leave your holler.

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:haha:

Embarrassingly enough, that's kind of exactly the plan I've been sitting here hatching.

In any case, I've been reading about them and turns out, Arkansas has been re-releasing black bears into the Ozarks. So that's likely where this fat fellow came from. So far, I've read nothing to indicate he has his eye on me for dinner :eek: .

Still, it's a bit bewildering. :waa:

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I've got a couple of juvenile bears in my woods, they are kind of fun to watch!

In general, bears will just leave you alone if you leave them alone. They just don't want to be bothered. I'd imagine if you made your presence known in that holler, by running the tractor around in there or something similar, that bear will just leave and find another quiet spot to hole up in.

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Jen, yea! I've been sitting here reading about them --- I was pretty bewildered when I first heard that, but apparently, yes, they're pretty gentle fellows who aren't looking for a fight.

Even better, according to our wildlife dept., they're a good indicator of a healthy habitat --- considering this place was completely rat-infested and buried in junk when I first moved in, I am very pleased to read that. It's nice to know elbow grease --- and elbow grease alone! --- can actually make the difference between rat-infested and diseased (which this place was when I bought it) to a place chock full of beavers, birds and hummingbirds, every imaginable kind of frog and toad and peeper, desirable trees and plantlife ... and now bears.

:D

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Think he likes rap? Maybe play the radio loud anytime you're not home, but move it around so he doesn't get used to it. Don't want him denning up in your barn. He was prob checking it out with just that in mind, doncha know.

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Hehe! Some of the other neighbors actually get out and work on their old truck sometimes --- and play rap music. :rolleyes: Drives me bats, but apparently, the bear doesn't mind. :D

10. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

:) The way I found out about "my" bears was when I went out to pick berries. I heard this sudden crashing and saw 2 fat black butts hightailing it into the trees. Now I make sure I'm talking or singing when I go back there (its blackberry season!) to give them plenty of time to get out of the way.

I did make sure I took the bird feeders down, and moved the garbage can and barbeque into the garage. No reason to have them thinking of the house and barns as an easy meal.

11. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

You know ... I've had honeybees move in here this year.

:confused: Wonder if there's some hives around.

Jen, I've seen those fat butts --- I just couldn't believe it was big fat bear butts :haha: When the propane dude told me obese groundhogs were common here, I decided it HAD to be grossly obese groundhogs! :haha:

In any case, maybe I'd better rethink putting back up my leaky hummingbird feeders --- even with pans beneath them.

:D

12. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Rethink the hummingbird feeders. It'd be like Kool-Aid for your bear.

You need a great pyrenees. I know you say your dogs are scary looking, but I'd bet that the constant barking of my Sam would keep your bear away.

13. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Black bears are big chickens, a barking poodle will put a bear up a tree. (I told you there was no such thing as a 30 lb ground hog...lol)

A park ranger was telling some city folks how to act in bear country. He told them to carry pepper spray, and to wear little bells on thier shoes to scare them away. He also said to watch out for fresh bear crap. The city folks asked how to tell if is bear crap, he said"well, it smells like pepper, and has little bells in it...."

14. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

tinknal: the propane dude wouldn't lie about a thing like that!

We take our groundhog very seriously around here! :yeeha:

15. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

My dogs are the scariest looking things around --- all the neighbors and every criminal for miles around are terrified of them --- but, I'm telling you, they're a combination of four legged Abbott & Costello and Keystone Cops.

:haha:

They're very amusing. Useless (except to look thoroughly horrifyingly scary) but completely entertaining.

Knowing me, I'd render a Great Pyranees just as useless in no time flat. :rolleyes: