?? About Selling Deer Meat

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Txsteader, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Txsteader

Txsteader Well-Known Member

Pardon my ignorance (we're not hunters), but is it illegal to sell 'farm raised' deer meat (never mind trying to figure how to keep them on the farm, lol)?

Do the laws that apply to selling deer meat also apply to selling elk, for example? As much as I (and many others) love deer and elk, it seems like there would be huge market for beef alternatives.

2. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

I'm sure it all depends on the laws of your specific area...Here in Missouri I've seen farm raised venison for sale at a processing plant..they have a meat shop out front. Most places would likely require an inspected processing area. Most any meat is available online if you have the $$$ to order it.

3. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member

You probably have to have a special permit to raise them also.

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Farm raised is legal in most placesas far as I know, and wild game is illegal to sell here. Most of that is controlled by State laws. And here you DO need a special permit to raise any wild game or nongame animals

5. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

6. sunnygrl

sunnygrl Well-Known Member

my great grandmother born 1908 told stories of her father raising deer and the tall fence, and the time when they went to pick up a deer, and had to take his brother in laws new car to pick it up.... she thought it was terribly funny that it got scared and made a mess in it..of course this was prob. around the 20's :rolleyes: ... she lived to be 101, so had lots of stories. :)

7. Txsteader

Txsteader Well-Known Member

Well, if it's legal to farm raise, it leads me to wonder why there aren't lots of folks doing it.....rather than the emu rage that became popular awhile back.

I mention this because, a few weeks ago, a friend gave us some of the best deer sausage I've ever eaten, which led me to think there'd be a hot market for such if it were available. Same for elk.....that's some good eating, lemme tell ya! I know there are ranchers that sell to restaurants, but it's not something you can buy @ the local grocery. Might be a good source of income for someone looking to diversify into a niche market.

8. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Wow, she hasn't even died yet.

9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

"Well, if it's legal to farm raise, it leads me to wonder why there aren't lots of folks doing it"

Id say cost is the biggest hold back, since it takes at least a 10 foot heavy duty fence to keep a deer from jumping over it. Plus the fact that even if "farm raised" they arent domesticated animals so they would be very difficult to handle.

10. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

I Know here in Arkansas ya need permits to raise quail and ducks.....we have to sell them live!...cant sell them dressed with out state coming in and us having the proper place and equipment...same with rabbit meat..sell live....but being all the folks that bought the sweet bunnies were friends..cough...cough... I would dress them out and they could ummm donate money to me for the rehabing of unwanted animals that got dumped into my lap often....but if you are going to put ads in the paper make sure ya word it LIVE!...hope this helps...dale anne

11. sunnygrl

LOL.... I hadn't even noticed that typo, I mean 1905 :) ... I must remember to account for the changing of times as I do all of my time traveling :) That can really mess up a person :baby04:

12. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I sure would check all State laws as well as the USDA on that.
    I know there is a farm that sells Elk and they HAVE to have 6 count them SIX Different licenses to sell the Elk to the Public and OF COURSE along with those 6 comes ALL the fees associated with them~!!!!

13. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

In most areas you can get a permit to raise and sell deer. Some of the deer raised are red deer, not a native deer so there isn't a law against selling the meat or a permit needed to raise. Different states have different laws.

14. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

OH WoW......a time traveler huh???? Wish I had an H.G. Wells time machine in my backyard too!!! :rolleyes: :p

15. sunnygrl

think of all we would learn!!

16. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I suspect with Chonic Wasting Disease found in both deer and elk there are now fairly stringent regulations on the sale and transfer of live animals.

Elk are typically farmed for their antlers when they are in the velvet stage. When cut off they are sold to Asian buyers who believe the processed velvet is a sex stimulant. Cull elk may be sold to exotic game restaurants or such.

And, yes, on facilities. Elk much more so than deer for strength. I've seen deer in the yard jump a 6' high chain link fence without even clicking their heels on the top.

I suspect there are national associations for both farmed deer and elk. Do a Google search.