? about rabbits and cavies

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tractorgrl, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Tractorgrl

Tractorgrl Well-Known Member

Hey All!!

I'm very new to colony-raising my rabbits. I cleaned out a stall in my barn and stapled rabbit wire around the bottom couple of feet to keep the little buggers from escaping. I then layed a thick layer of shavings and straw. I pitch out the straw and replace it with fresh every couple of days (it probably doesn't need to be done this often, but I'm a clean freak .:giggle:.) and replace the shavings as needed, usually when I notice they are wet or have an odor. I added a few wooden boxes to serve as nest boxes and I currently have 4 does and 1 buck living happily together. In the summer I plan to build something like a chicken tractor and allow my rabbits to go out onto my lawn and garden during the daytime hours. My question is this: when I was keeping my rabbits in cages, I kept many of my rabbit does in the same cages as my cavy sows, do you think I could house some of my cavy sows in the rabbit "colonies" or is this not a good idea? Do you think the buck would stand for this? Oh, and I only keep cavy sows, no boars. They are just pets, I don't breed them.

Thanks!!

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

That's a good question...one thing to keep in mind though is that cavies need a lot of vitamin C to prevent scurvy, and breeders say it isn't present in large enough amounts in rabbit food. Maybe fresh greens would be sufficient to supply the extra vitamin C???

Has anyone else tried something like this?

3. carlac

carlac Member

I only have 3 rabbit does, but I had them in an 8x8 shed. They had straw and places to curl up in. At the same time, we had a guinea pig in the house - all alone. I decided to try her in with the does. It worked out very well. And I think she was noticably happier with the space and the company. She just died this summer at 6 yo, but I know her last year was better than it could have been in a cage.

Carla