?, About Power Brake Booster

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Fla Gal, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

My old 1978 F100 Ford truck blew out the plastic (?) button from the valve on the power brake booster. The valve has an airline going to the vaccum on the carburetor and the button being gone caused a major vaccum leak. I was lucky it happened when I started the truck, not traveling down the road. :eek: Between standing on the brakes and putting the transmission in neutral I limped the last half mile home at 20mph. Gawd, I hate power brakes!!!

My quick fix was putting three layers of duct tape over it, (ahhh... duct tape... I can fix anything :D ) stuck a quarter to that and duct taped it again with about four layers and wrapped two strips of tape around the diameter to help keep the tape from slipping off.

The truck is running normal now and my question is, will this quick fix get me to a parts store (not far away) and if I have to make a panic stop will it make the fix blow off the valve? This has never happened to me and I have no idea of what saftey level I'm looking at. Any information about safety precautions and how long this fix will last is appreciated. TIA

2. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

not real safe. but i guess it all depends on how far and how busy traffic etc. you could go really slow with your flashers on. anyone that owns a older ford should have these three things handy

fender mounted starter solenoid
    brake booster vac check valve
    accelerator pump diaphram that goes on side of carb

all together are about ten to twelve dollars. with those you have not many worries of getting stranded and all will fit in the glove box

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I take it this is your only vehicle. If you have to drive it just leave yourself plenty of room to stop and you should be fine. Valve is plastic and is a 1 way check valve. Parts store should have it in a bubble pack on the HELP parts rack of common odd parts. The cause of failure can sometimes be an engine backfire as it pressurizes the valve instead of vacum. 26 years of life on a plastic part can also contribute to it's failure.
    While on the subject of brakes on that truck very common to see the rear wheel cylinders frozen and the truck only stopping on frt. brakes.

4. Fla Gal

I'm a rather cautious driver and that's why I asked about the safety of the situation. I don't think I could get out in heavy traffic and act like nothing was wrong.

I've always kept a spare solenoid (to replace the fender mounted one) but never thought of a brake booster vac check valve or accelerator pump diaphram. Terrible thing, the older I get the older this truck gets and the more things I should be thinking about keeping on hand for the truck.

I suppose I'm dating myself now by saying I'm resistant to change and really don't want a new pickup truck. My Dad bought this truck, he said about 15 years ago and it ended up being mine, then my younger brothers, then went on to a nephew and back to me. How's that for a family truck? :p

My younger brother replaced the engine with an older one that has points and a condenser. At least I can work on it without a lot of fancy equipment. Runs good except for dogging because of the automatic transmission. Sounds like I'm hijacking my own thread. ;)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions on necessary spare parts and will you tell me how difficult it is to change a brake booster vac check valve?

5. Fla Gal

Yes, this is my only vehicle. I would certainly leave plenty of room to stop. The part of the valve that's left is yellowed white plastic. It's probably the origional one. The engine doesn't backfire so I suppose it's from age that the valve malfunctioned. Thanks for the information on that though, it's tucked away for future reference.

Funny thing, I started the engine and heard a "thunk", the engine went to a high rumbling uneven idle and the brakes didn't want to work. I had a heck of a time trying to keep it going. I don't know if the valve imploded or exploded but it's all there but the button (plug) that goes over it.

Thanks for the tip on the rear wheel cylinders and brakes. I'm going to have the brakes checked out because the emergency brake doesn't do much of anything until the truck is almost stopped. Could be just them or them and the wheel cylinders too. In addition to that I don't do a lot of backing up which would affect the self adjusters too. Sounds like it's time for a brake job. I need to start calling parts stores to find out if they carry the power booster vaccum valve. On Sunday mornings there isn't much traffic on the roads and I believe I can make it to a parts house without an accident.