? about Popping Wheat Berries like Popcorn!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mrs_stuart, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Do any of you "pop" your wheat berries like popcorn? What are the results...and how is it...and most importantly, do you do it just like popcorn?
    Do any kind of wheat berries work or do you need Hard or soft wheat?
    thanks!

Belinda

2. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

I pop them but it isnt like popcorn

I put a layer in a preheated iron skillet (sometimes I oil or spray it and sometimes I do it dry). then I heat it and stir it until the popping sound stops. They are more like nuts than popcorn. The hard shell cracks and it is crunchy

I also do dried corn like that. They come out as an unprocessed cornut.

We like to salt them while they are hot. Lots of times, I will do a half gallon at a time and store it in a canning jar for treats for later.

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

While I was experimenting roasting green coffee beans, I "roasted" wheat to see what kind of beverage it made. Some of kernels puffed like popcorn, but not many. Also parched field corn for homemade "cornuts". Few kernels of it puffed like popcorn also. Think lot of popcorns pop is moisture trapped in by hard outer shell. Popcorn is flint type corn after all.

4. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

the grain does expand a bit and is a good snack. But it will not be fluffy like popcorn. It is definately not puffed wheat

5. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

Ok, I admit it. When I first saw this....

"I also do dried corn like that. They come out as an unprocessed cornut"

I thought 'cornut' was simply a misspelling. But the next poster also mentioned it. So - what is 'cornut'?? I've never heard of it.

6. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Cornut/corn-nut is just parched corn salted and sometimes flavored. Sold in little cellephane pkgs nearly any convenience store in the country. The commecial cornuts seem to use some large kernel dent corn. Not hard to make your own. Just spread single layer of dry corn (some dent variety is probably best, dont use popcorn or you will have it shooting all over the kitchen) in a dry skillet (fryin' pan) and keep it constantly moving over high heat until kernels slightly expand but before they turn real dark. Salt and flavor to taste. Parched corn is good, burned corn isnt.

7. I have heard that to get better popcorn popping, you need to put it briefly into the frezzer and then pop it, the freezer part helps trap the mositure inside, where a long term freezer stay would yield freeze dried.

Seems that this same process might help with the wheat berries to get more pop or puff up.

8. Mrs_stuart

Thanks for the info...I am gonna try it, we eat lots of nuts so i bet it would be good. I am also thankful to know about the cornuts...I want to make them too.

I wonder if the "popped" wheat would be good in homemade granola??? Or is it to hard. My hubby loves granola and i try to make it exciting and try new ideas with it. What do ya think???

thanks for all the ideas.

Belinda

9. If you cna get milo at the right moisture content it will pop just like regular popcorn ONLY smaller. I think it tastes just like popcorn.
    Jerry KS

10. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I buy popcorn in large amounts, & it tends to lose moisture over time & there will be a lot of kernels that won't pop. I have found that if I fill a jar about 3/4 full and add a VERY small amount of water, & shake it several times a day, it will fix the problem. I wonder if doing this to wheat would make it be larger & not as hard when it is "popped"?

11. Sort of off topic, but going along with cornnuts, this site has lots of information and type of corn that is best to use:

Parching Corn
    http://doityourself.com/vegetables/parchingcorn.htm

"I soon discovered that the best parching corns were all soft, or flour, corns. Some flint corns, when parched, produced something similar to corn nuts. Other flint corns only partially popped and parched, or didn't cook completely when parched; they were inedible. But all the flour corns parched to make soft, edible kernels. Among flour corns, some parched much more quickly and uniformly than others, and flavors ranged from wonderful to terrible.
    My next step was to call the seed companies that had the best selections of flour corns, various members of Seed Savers Exchange, and Mark Millard, curator of the country's biggest corn collection, the USD collection in Ames, Iowa. No one knew much about which varieties would be best for parching, but everyone was eager to help. I soon had samples of about 200 different flour corns to evaluate. Among them I found eight truly superb varieties. However, only three were available commercially."

12. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

That was very interesting about the parching corn, thank you.

Belinda, have you tried other grains that have been rolled into flakes? You can buy some different ones at the health food stores or buy a grain roller and do your own.

13. Mrs_stuart

I usually buy a 9 grain rolled flake organic "cereal" that i usually use but i havent really tried much else. I need to broaden my sight a bit, i think...

Belinda