About Pickup's

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RenieB, Oct 20, 2005.

1. RenieB

RenieB Well-Known Member

We recently got a new pickup and were trying to figure out how to protect the bed from damage. All that we checked into we found too expensive for us. We went to a grain store that was having a sale on birdseed and we noticed these large rubber mats. We asked what they were used for and they told us they were for horse stalls but that a lot of people were using them in the back of their pickups. It fit perfect in our truck so we bought one for $37. I wonder if anyone has used these and how they felt about them. So far it seems to be doing the job and when we go to pick up some wood we won't have concerns about the bed. We also plan to use cement blocks to weight down the back of the truck. Hope it was a good buy.

RenieB

2. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

As expensive as they are I can't say enough good stuff about the Rhinoliner I had put in my 2000 s-10. The only damage we've been able to do to it was when we had a bare engine block in the back of the truck bouncing around. I've heard that Line-x is also a good product. If you go this route be sure to have them spray the top of the bedrails as well.

3. mtn bluet

mtn bluet in Illinois

We have a Dodge Ram 1500 1996 that came with a liner and I love it. The ridges drain off the rain water easily and anything you place in the bed a couple of hours after a rain do not get wet because they are not touching the water. The little water left is in the ridges. Very durable as well. Also, when we had to replace the tailgate they transferred the liner and it looks just like new as before.

4. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I vote for Line-X. It is what I'll end up putting on my truck when it gets it's much needed and much deserved overhaul and rebuild. A friend has Line-X and it is very rugged stuff. I've heard good things about Rhino liner too.

The last thing to get is a drop in liner. No matter how well they are secured they move. When they move they work like sandpaper and rub the paint off. Then you get rust. I've pulled bedliners out of fairly new trucks and the bed underneath is a real horror show. I tried to cushion mine with closed cell foam and some of that rubber mat stuff but it really didn't do any good.

The rubber mats are ok if you rarely haul anything.

Given the price of new trucks and the price of a replacement truck bed the cost of a good sprayed in liner is pretty cheap protection especially if you haul a lot of stuff.

5. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Stay with the rubber mat. I have an Ford F-150 and got the poly bed liner when I bought it new. Worked nice but was way, way to slippery. Everything wanted to slide around in the bed. So we had a job in a small power plant and they were getting rid of the very thick (~1/2" tough industrial rubber mat) on the floor. I scooped that up in a flash and cut it up to make truck bed liners. Put it over the poly liner. This particular mat has little drain holes all over it. One side is smooth and the other has little raised dot-like bumps. I put the bumps as the down side. Works just super. Cushions heavy objects so they don't damage the other liner if dropped while loading. You get excellent footing walking around in the truck bed, even in wet conditions.

Definitely solves the sliding around problem. I had bought over rubber mats for other trucks but they were far cheaper and thinner. This one has withstood 9 years of wear and been out in the weather, zero sign of wear.

Was a bit of a bear to cut out, made a cardboard template. A must have in my book. The good commerical rubber mats designed for a particular truck can be a bit on the expensive side but still a must have in my book. $37 is probably a good price. Some industrial supply catalogs carry good rubber matting, might be one way to go to get one at a reasonable cost.

If I sell my truck, am taking out the rubber mat first.

6. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Scorpion, Rhino-liner and Line-X are good but a little spendy. They are THICK and TOUGH. Of the three, I really like Scorpion for thickness and color selection.

BUT if you want to do the job yourself and are reasonably handy, Herculiner is great!

We applied it to my CJ7 -- from the fire wall to the tail gate -- and it really was pretty easy. We took out the seats and trans cover, and just went to it. Looks great, wears great, just took a few hours, and only cost around $100. It's been three years now, and it's still looking good. Not a ding or scratch in it.

I'm actually thinking about covering the exterior as well. ;)

Pony!

7. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

I bought my little 2000 S-10 used and it came with one of those set-in liners. I haul tools, lawn equipment, furniture, and loose bulk gravel, mulch and soil. If not completely full and packed or tied down, everything slides around. On the other hand nothing has harmed my bed. I have noticed that because of the construction and the way they are installed, mulch does get between the liner and bed. I suppose this could be causing a rust problem, but I won't have the time to take care of it until next semester. Glad to hear about the horse stall mats, hopefully they are skid-free, if so, then I will be picking one up soon.

8. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

My dad always used to say - just throw some stuff in the back and let it get scratched, cause it will get 'the pain' overwith sooner. LOL. But that was before bedliners, etc.

I'd think water and moisture would get trapped under it and cause a rusting problem sooner. There IS a new technique where they spray a 'liner' inside the truck bed and sides to protect it, that many are really happy with. I'd probably go with that if we ever got a new one.

9. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

My newest truck came with a bedliner, but I have a topper so I don't have that moisture problem, although some times that is a hinderance depending on what I need to haul. My last truck, though, I at first tried to protect the bed before hauling stuff...cardboard, plywood...all kinds of things, but it became more work then it was work, so I finally just let it go. My dad always says trucks are made to be used, not pretty, although I get fondly attached to mine. Deb

10. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

Got to agree with the rubber mats.
    I also cut a 3/8 thick piece of plywood and used contact glue to stick it to the forward wall of the box to keep tools and cargo from messing it up.

11. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Rubber mats work OK for just laying stuff in the back. Watch that the mat doesn't blow out at highway speed with nothing in the bed. Water getting under the mat is a problem and will rust the bed.Cement blocks in the bed might not be the best idea. If or when you stop short or possibly hit something the cement blocks will keep coming foward causing damage to your truck and possibly you.
    Beware drop in liners, they are slippery and cause static electricity. The static electricity can cause a problem when hauling plastic gas cans.

12. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

Did you by a truck or a car?

if you want to keep the bed in excellent condition, take it off and put a flat bed on the pick up and have a truck that you can use, and when you sell it take off the flat bed and put the petty pick up box back on, other wise throw some cement blocks in it and scratch the thing up and go for it,