? about goats and dogs...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BucksCtyCowgirl, Apr 9, 2005.

1. BucksCtyCowgirl

BucksCtyCowgirl Member

We have 2 nigerian dwarf goats, and I want to introduce them to our new dog.I tried to get them together today,but they bucked and she was almost killed by their hooves!HELP!!

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

IF your dog, is small wait until it is older, but take the dog on the out side of the fence several times a day, so they can get use t oseeing the dog, and you with the dog.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

new dogs- new goats- old story. :haha:

i'd let the goats go ahead and teach the dog to stay away now. only problems later if you teach the goats he is not a threat. because he is a threat, and chances are you will next be asking how to stop your dog from killing your livestock. maybe the dog will learn a healthy respect for the goats.

my .02

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I'm with Marvella here. Go ahead and let your dog be afraid of the goats. A healthy respect is a really good idea in this case, for both the goats and the dog.

- All of the neighbor's dogs are terrified of my oldest goat. Gohan has an impressive set of horns and isn't shy about using them when he's provoked.

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i don't de-horn my goats for this very reason.

6. xbeeman412

xbeeman412 Well-Known Member

We use working dogs with our goats and they know the dogs well,yet every now and then the dogs will let their guard down and get nailed from behind by a doe. Goats should always keep a healthy respect for dogs for their own safety and for that reason I wouldnt try to get the dog and goats to be buddys. Our working dogs(border Collies) also serve as guardians of the animals and chase all varmits away at night as well as daylight hours. The dog will learn not to intrude on the goats space or accept the consaquences.

Hope this has helped.

God Bless.

7. BucksCtyCowgirl

BucksCtyCowgirl Member

Thanks!This will help ALOT!

8. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

I agree about letting them see each other through the fence. Also, make sure that your dog sees you with the goats, so it knows that they are part of your pack. After a while they will start to get used to each other through the fence and you can try them together, but SUPERVISED. I would supervise them for several months or even a year until you are certain that they will treat eachother with respect. Then you can just listen to them through the window, but never leave them totally alone until they are completely bonded with each other. They might never even get to this stage. I have one dog that I leave out with the goats all the time and I trust him. The other dog is young and playful and I still supervise her and only let them together in the back yard. I watch from the window or have my oldest child watch her. A dog can kill a goat, and a strong goat can kill a dog, so you must be VERY careful.

9. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

We just did this!
    We had 3 month old buck. We also have a 3 year old blue heeler/border collie dog.
    At first the buck screamed like a banshee. It was awful.
    It retreated to a little dog kennel we had and hid there. The dog ran the other way, terrified of the sounds that goat was making.
    By the next day, they were best friends. They curl up together. The kid bawls when we remove the dog to feed him. And my dog, is so happy. He has a JOB!
    So give it some time, they'll work it out.

Lori