? about glucosamine for dog

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by featherbottom, Nov 24, 2004.

1. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

2. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

My mother tried it for her two German Shepards with dysplasia. It didnt help them =/

3. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) All I can pass on to you is my Aust. Cattle Dog, 2yrs old, seriously injured a shoulder a number of months ago..like in the spring. Xrays showed nothing..couldn't seem to get her to show pain on palpation but she limped like crazy.

This dog is a nut and a jumping fool. She'll be walking by the wash machine and just pop right up on it..sideways! It's no wonder she did herself in. I didn't want her on steroids if we could help it so the Doc put her on Synovni G3 a nutritional supplement with Glucosamine, MSM, creatine etc etc. Now I don't know if she just got well on her own or not, or the supplement helped? But she limped for a long time before we put her on this and it seemed to straightened he out, it took about 6 weeks.

So, I have kept her on it and added it to the diet of my older Cattle Dog(after checking with the Doc) as he has some soreness in his hindquarters on occasion...nothing that shows on Xray..again..sigh. LOL

It seems to be helping him but again maybe it's just a good period for him right now? I feel that it can't hurt! LOL

Good luck with your dog, it's really hard to see them in pain plus you can't play with them.

LQ

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

My dog's not dysplastic (I should say, he doesn't yet show signs of it, though most of his litter has it), but he has some arthritis in his right rear. Glucosamine keeps him going strong, even when it's winter and snowing and he's romping around like he's one of Santa's reindeer or something.

He also gets a baby aspirin twice a day, so I don't know that I can attribute it ALL to the Glucosamine, but I'm not going to take a chance by removing one or the other.

Hope you find a way to get your pet comfortable.

5. NCDon

NCDon New Member

I have an eleven year old beagle with arthritus in her hips. She takes glucosamine w/ condroitin (just the people stuff from the health food store), alflafa and she can play like a pup. I think without it. she might be unable to walk.

6. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

I have 2 13 year old Afghan hounds. They both run around and play, but they are both on Rhymidal (sp). I wouldn't suggest it for a younger dog, as it can cause liver problems. But with my 13 year old, I think liver problems are the least of their worries. Without the Rhymidal (sp) they can barely walk.
    Alice in Virginia

7. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

"He also gets a baby aspirin twice a day, so I don't know that I can attribute it ALL to the Glucosamine, but I'm not going to take a chance by removing one or the other."

prolonged use of baby aspirin can cause liver damage.. among other things.

8. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've seen probably a dozen or so dogs start glucosamine and improve dramatically. Not sure I'd try anything like that without a trip to the vet, but its worked wonders for arthritic dogs and most of the people I know who tried it too.

9. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

A little while back I asked what to give my dog who was having some kind of pain in her hip area, I've started her on glucosaamine w/condriotin. Its only been a couple of weeks. She is putting more weight on her leg, but still is limping. We'll see with prolonged use how it works. I'm thinking though that she probably has displaysia. :waa:

10. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

11. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all

We have two somewhat oversized Dobermanns and they have been on
    Glucosamine & Chondroiton, at the Vet's reccomendation ever since we got them 6 years ago. I'd have to say it helps them.

See at about the same time my old Doc was telling me about it, in
    my late fifties. So, on the Vet & the Doc's reccomendation, I started taking
    it too. It does help me. Couple years ago we took a 2+ week trip, & i forgot about it. By the time we got back, I could not get up the steps, without some Hip-pain. At 64+, I can still jog up the steps.
    I would NOT be without it. After 43 years of factory work, retired now,
    I need it to keep my joints working well without pain.

It takes about 3 weeks to get into your system and start really being
    Beneficial. Then you only notice the difference, if you go off it.
    Got to Have it, Here.

12. Ragamuffin2004

Ragamuffin2004 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the syn-flex for my dogs. My Lhasa apso, who has severe CHD and arthritis as a result, has been on cosequin for about 3 1/2 years or so now. It has worked wonders for him. Most of the time he does not need any type of painkillers - we've only had about 2 episodes where he had to go on painkillers for a few weeks at a time. Both episodes resulted from him running with the pack and trying to keep up with the aussie/collie, the border collie, and the sheltie.

One of the most important things to do for a dog with HD or arthritis is keep him at the ideal weight or a little underweight. Provide comfortable spots for sleeping and resting. We have several firm dog beds to provide support, but Ragamuffin's sheepskin rug seems to be the sleeping spot of choice.

Heat seems to help when a severe episode occurs. Either heated towels, a heating pad (assuming your dog won't chew it), or just a warm place in front of the fire.

13. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Glucosamine and Chondroitin worked wonders for my dog, Missy.

I sell treats with it in them: http://naturespets.com/treats.html .

First I had started her on pills from walmart, but they were expensive. Then I found out about Flint River Ranch, and started her on the Jubilee wafers. After several months of high quality food, she doesn't need any supplementation anymore.

14. Ginger

Ginger Member

Hey Deb,
    MSM is OTC and is used alot by sled dog people for muscle/joint probs. I have used it in many cases of arthritis, including my own. It is a natural anti-inflammatory and has no side affects to speak of, so can be taken with almost any other meds. My vet looked it up when I suggested and said she is now suggesting for most patients that have reactions to chemical drugs. You can buy at most grocers/drug stores, very readily available.

15. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Member

16. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Glucosamine and chondrotions aren't pain remedies. They help to replace SOME of the lost joint fluid which causes and contributes to arthritic problems, thereby lessening some of the symptoms but not relieving them.

I think it's good stuff to use in a not so young dog that isn't severely arthritic or dysplastic as a preventative measure, but in older dogs or those with severe problems glucosamine and chondrotions alone aren't gonna cut it. Asprins or some other NSAID needs to be included on a daily or as needed basis for pain.

17. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Well, Second-noah, that may be true in most cases, but my dog was about 9-10 yrs., and had it bad enough that she didn't want to get up most of the time. Sometimes she would hold a leg entirely in the air when walking for the first several steps. She had a heavy limp.

I don't have to give her anything at all after about 8 months or so on high quality food w/ glucosamine and chondroitin, other than the high quality food. She also has a shiny coat which she did not before. It was very dull and we realized that when we got a new puppy who grew up to have a beautiful coat. Missy's still isn't quite as shiney, but it's close. Alot of it is due to her having a different type of coat than Allie too.