? about getting a lot ready for a mobile home

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Dink, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

Before we moved here my husbands cousin was trying to set a trailor up on a lot .It has a private drive,the land has been graded,the septic tank is in place and theres a wreck of a trailor on it.What do we need to do to it to finnish it so we can either rent out the lot or buy a trailor and rent it out or we could barter on the rent for work that needs to be done around the farm.
    What needs to be done? what permits ect.and about what would it cost for electric/water?

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Find your County's website and contact the building inspector. Local laws vary so much its hard to give a good answer with limited information

3. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

Thanks I just needed an idea as to what to do I have never dealt with any thing like this but it could bring in extra cash or help with labor.

4. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

Yep - start with local codes. We know of a family who live on over 150 acres with their own dairy farm. They bought and moved into a mobile home on thier farm while building a new house. Their local codes only allowed a mobile home for a maximum of 2 years as a temporary usage during construction. Even with all of that ground they couldn't keep the mobile home on their land. I also heard of a woman who was divorced with 2 kids who worked very hard to buy 40 acres of ground. Saved a lot and wanted to put a mobile home on her land -- found out that in her area the codes reguired over 40 acres in order to have a mobile home as a full time residence. I don't remember where she was located. Makes you want to live so far out that there are no zoning codes!!!

Ken in Glassboro, NJ (yes, we have tons of zoning codes here :Bawling: )

5. iocane

iocane Active Member

I think the local codes are just to make artificial shortages in housing. Supply and demand, housing prices go up. More tax dollars for the local officials.

6. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

Zoning laws aside, I would definately not rent the lot for someone else to put their mobile home on. It costs so much money to move a mobile home and if you need to evict the renters - who is going to pay for the removal?

I would move the junk home off of the property and look at buying a reasonably priced used or repo. At least you have the hook-ups already!!