? about dewlap on Katahdin lamb

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by russellsmom, Jun 15, 2004.

1. russellsmom

russellsmom Well-Known Member

Is it a serious confirmation fault if a Katahdin lamb has a dewlap? I cannot find any information about dewlaps in the sheep book I have. Would it be advisable to not keep a lamb like that for breeding purposes?

2. Well, what is a dewlap? I raise registered Katahdins, show them and I'm an inspector - but I'm sorry, I have never heard of a dewlap. If you can explain it to me then I can possibly tell you if it is a fault or not.

3. russellsmom

russellsmom Well-Known Member

It was described to me as an extra lump of some sort around the neck of the lamb. I wish I could be more helpful in the description, I haven't seen the lamb yet. The person who has it said she's seen it before at lambs who were at shows, and it usually appeared on lambs that were growing really well, but this is the first time that one of her lambs developed one.

4. Well, I'm not sure I really know what you mean - I've seen lots of show Katahdins over the years and never heard of that. But, on lambs that are getting lots of milk and good feed, they can get what is called a nursing pouch under their chin. But, that will go away, usually once they are weaned. The other thing it can be is from worms - you can get a pouch under the jaw from a worm infestation also. Have a look at this website www.saskkatahdinsheep.com the sheep there are all registered breeding stock - it will give you an idea of what they should look like. If you want more info - I can give you a link to a breed characteristic guide book and it lists all the faults. (dewlap isn't in it though).