? about deer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by foxies, Dec 4, 2003.

1. foxies

foxies Well-Known Member

I'm not trying be funny, but in your state what happens to road killed deer.Does the person that hits it, get to keep it? Or is it given to the environmental police.

2. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

All of the road kill deer I have seen stayed in the road until run flat or rotted / eaten by crows, etc. As I understand it if a person takes the deer, it is considered poaching.

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

LOL poaching! :haha: What a unprofitable way to poach: Well, only caused 2,000 dollars worth of damage to the vehicle for this vinison.

We hit a deer a couple - 3 weeks ago, and everyone we tells says " yea, soandso hit one a week ago", or "we hit one a month ago too". Seems like everyone is hitting them these days.

Around here if you hit it, it's yours, at least that is what everyone does. Perhaps technically it isn't legal. That is just dumb if it is. I know the farmers are allowed to kill deer during spring/summer to protect crops, but they have to leave it to rot. So stupid.

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Double posted, even though first posting attemp ended in error page :confused:

5. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Here in Wisconsin, you can keep the deer, but, only after you contact the police and they come out to tag it for you.

6. 2A

2A Well-Known Member

Indiana requires the polcie tag them before you take them. Since you're probably filing a police report anyway for insurance no biggie. A lot of people in clunks with liability just load them up though and nobody cares.

7. DanTN

DanTN Guest

Harvesting said roadkill deer is perfectly legal and encouraged here. A guy at my church hit one last week, puled over to assess the damage and had a fella stop and ask him if he wanted the deer, he didn't so fella louded it up and took it.

8. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

ive harvested a few...

the rule of the land here is (so I am told by the old ones) if its dead, take it but call the game warden (they are as thick as flies here) within 10 days so they can record it.
    why, I dont have a clue... do they really count all those rotten piles on the road?

we do have a roadkill truck that scrapes em up... man DONT get cought behind this truck...
    I dunno how those guys work with the SMELL.

9. Here in Maine.. If you hit it YOU have the option to take it for use in your family- you cant give it to Billy Bob down the raod.. If you refuse it, it is taken to food shelters for the homeless..

Always have to report it to the game warden...

10. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Around here, the police get to decide who gets the deer---usually one of their buddies. You can plead your case to keep it, some will give in, some won't.

11. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Thats what Brush Guards are made for.My Step Mom killed more Groundhogs with a '50 Chevy Pickup than with a Gun,no she didn't let then go to waste.

big rockpile

12. Diana K

Diana K Active Member

This is a bit off track, but, if the states can tell us when we can hunt and when we hit one of their governed deer, should it not be the responsibility of the states to fix our cars? I realize this is probably a stupid question, but makes sense to me!

13. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

LMAO your talking GOVERNMENT does ANYTHING they do make sense????
    When we lived in Wyoming if you hit a deer you could be cited... Animals have the right of way there... Needless to say you either learn to doge or you dont say what caused that sudden damage to yourvehicle. I did notice the majority of people had huge brush bars and they were frame mounted, not these wanna be brush ghuard things you see on the trucks in Calif LOL
    IN Calif if you hit a deer you are supposed to let it lay... Theory being the carcass will feed vultures and such... And no they dont scoop them up around here... If its in the road someone MIGHT move it off the road if its big enough to cause a traffic problem, otherwise it becomes a flat dehydrated mark in the road....

14. Swampdweller

Swampdweller Well-Known Member

Government does not claim ownership of the deer, whether roadkilled or hunted. They claim ownership and dominion over the man that takes it.
    There are court cases to that effect. Also, government does not have a perfect claim on your new auto until you surrender the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin to them in exchange for "certificate" of title. It is not "title". It is certification that such exists. It is theirs upon your surrender, and they will control the auto and it's "drivers" so long as that auto is on the road.

Swampdweller

15. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

In WV any animal you kill with a car is yours.

Ana, where are you?

16. Sarah K.

Sarah K. Well-Known Member

I believe PA just passed a law within the last year or so, making it legal to keep road-killed deer. They were a big problem when I lived in NE PA. My favorite was seeing deer carcasses by the side of the road, with just the head removed... guess somebody wanted a trophy!

17. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

In Kansas you can't touch it unless you have paid $10 for a "salvage" tag.
    Otherwise, it is coyote feast.
    Tana Mc

18. Diana K

Diana K Active Member

To All,

I knew the government would not take responsibility but did not know anybody had ever tried to actually get them to pay.

19. bare

bare Head Muderator

A few years ago a simpleminded resident took pity on the deer and decided to feed them hay. Problem was, they live 1 mile south of the Canadian port here...heavy truck traffic. The carnage continued to pile up in the snowberms along side the road, until some of us under the influence of winter blues and too much beer went out and raised the dead.

Deer, contorted in every possible pose, standing and greeting all passing north. Was pretty gruesome but no one bothered to take them down until spring.

20. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

LMAO that would be sooo funny!! And to think them silly game wardens use those overly expensive fake deer to catch poachers.. Think of the tax dollars they'd save if they just "raised the dead" as you did!!! WOOHOO they could afford whole HERDS of deer at that rate LMAO
    Can you image if some PETA person had come across that?? OMG they would have had a hissy fit!