? about bucks in rut....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Raftercat5, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

We have a new proven buck, three years old. We just bought him, and we know it's very late in the season. The farm where he came from has lots of does that have already settled more than a month or so ago. The seller also banked some of his sperm for artificial insemination (AI). Since coming to our farm 2 days ago, he smells like he's still in rut, but since we're new at being buck-owners, we really don't know. He will have to 'service' one of our does in about a week. She's not in heat yet, so she's not really interested in him at all. He visited her over the fence first, and seemed interested enough to "burble" (flicked his tongue on her), but there was NO visible erection. Also, we didn't observe any bucky behavior (peeing on himself). Is this normal? Or, is it possible that he completed his rut? Will he come back into rut when she comes into heat? We've been bringing her to see him daily for about 1/2 hr. at a time, but as of yet, we haven't left her alone with him. We let her inside his fenceline today, and he did NOT chase her around at all. Instead, when she showed no interest in him, he decided to wander over and munch on a tree branch. What gives???
    - Kathy

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

being in Rut or not, a buck will still stink, and he will still breed Does if he is out of rut, being in RUt just means he has a Higher level of Hormones in his system, and will be more aggressive about everything,
    if you ever watch the Discovery Channel or National Geographic, its the same principal as with Bull Elephants, a bull elephant in Rut is automatically the boss over any other bull elephant thats NOT in Rut (or Musk as they call it sometimes) due to the higher levels of Testosterone upping both the sexual drive, Aggression, brute Force. but if a Bull in Musk or Rut is not around and a Cow comes into heat any bull around and able to win her over and defend her from any other Bulls can and will breed her.

Just think on a smaller scale from that, he will do his job and still smell bad if he isnt in rut but he wont be nearly as aggressive and crazy about it.

3. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Interesting topic-one person I visited over in the SJ Valley, said she has really improved conception rates in April (she wants Sept/Oct babies) if she gets her does in with the buck before mid March. She said that it gives the does time to cycle with a buck in with them and strengthens their ovulation at a time when it is not a really strong season for them. I plan to try this with two young does. Even though the timing is not really IN SEASON, pairing them for a long enough time will bring the hormones back up enough for better rates. Right now, my does are cycling strongly but the days are short.

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

My bucks stops stinking when their winter coats fall out, and start stinking again in September. They don't stink when not in rut (I clip them, including that smelly beard, in May when the show does are clipped the first time). My oldest buck is still quite interested in everything, heat or not, female goats, wethers, the other bucks, sheep, cattle, the list is endless. The other two seem to be calming down now that breeding season is about over, but they did call to the little girls (not being bred this year) when they were in heat last week. My goats don't start cycling until July, sometimes (but not often) in June, even when penned next to the bucks - but the bucks don't show a lot of interest until late August/Sept. I assume it has to do with temp and length of day. It greatly depends on where you are at/breed of the goat.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

A 3 year old is a seasoned veteran, he would not even waste his time with anything more than tasteing/smelling her urine to see if she is in heat. Most of the really disgusting behaviors bucks have are saved for the young and bucks in early rut. By this time of the year even the does heats are quieter and the actual time in which they are in heat is less, bucks also, they perfume themselves all up early in rut, but by now, although they would breed a post, they don't waste alot of time with rut behavior. My yearling bucks are the monsters of the place, by their 2nd season of rut they are nicer, by 3 they are real gentlemen again. Vicki

6. Raftercat5

Ahhh...thanks, everyone. What a great informed group you all are! You have put my mind at ease. Now, if only she goes into heat and kids BEFORE OR AFTER my daughter's wedding in June.

7. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

If you breed her now, she will DEFINITELY kid in the middle of the wedding; it's just what they do best :)

8. maryanne

maryanne Well-Known Member

he sounds like my husband BEFORE marriage. :baby04:

9. Raftercat5

Oh, how right you are!!! I counted the days to her next heat, then counted the days til my daughter's wedding. Yup....right on the day of the wedding. We (me actually) decided not to breed her. She will be a yr old March 10, so we'll wait til autumn '07. (sigh!)
    -Kathy