Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard any predictions yet? Will we have an early autumn as some people around here are suggesting?

The corn is already turning here. My dogwood tree has some red bunches of leaves on it. The weather has been so... unpredictable these last few years that I find myself wondering already.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that I prefer autumn to any other time of year, and I live for Christmas Day...

So, have you heard anything yet? Got a website on autumn/winter 2007 to share?

:) RedTartan

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
It's 90, with 69% humidity today....

no sign of autumn here yet.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,435 Posts
104 here. I WISH autumn would get here early - like tomorrow!

NeHi

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I think fall and winter are about on schedule here. The bush usually is a good indicator around here. July had little rain, so some areas already have yellow leaves due to dryness. I don't believe it indicates an early fall. Forecast is for above normal and more dry temps out for the next 2 weeks. The season so far has allowed an output of lots more biomass than last year. Things like the wild berry crop was outstanding. Last year, with the drought it was a total bust. Also, the berries were 'pickable' in early July and still in the low wetter spots are there with plants green. All that is on cue for being 'normal'. I guess one could 'predict' normal fall pattern here, and for winter I haven't a clue. It can't be any drier, or less snowfall than we had last year. Seems the pattern over the last decade or more is 'on average' not as severe winter as has been in the past.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
For a week, it's been 100*-110* today it was 95* it feels almost like Fall! It's too early here to see any signs.. Everything is brown from the high temps and drought conditions, except the golf courses! Queen Bee

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
RockyGlen said:
Which means what? We don't have wooly worms here....
Ah, okay. Wooly worms are reddish-brown with a band of black. Supposedly the wider the black band, the colder the coming winter (as black absorbs more heat). Since these lil buggers don't have any black, it's kind of like they're not anticipating a cold winter.

But I don't put a whole lot of credence in them, myself. Just throwing it out there.

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
The ones ive seen around here this year have equil lengths of stripes.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Will all of you Winter lovers just wait your turn, PLEASE????

It is still August. Actually, we're not even half way through August. So keep your coooooooold thoughts to yourself.

Fer cryin' out loud. Get a little heat into ya, and ya start actin' like you'll melt er sumthin'...

;)

Pony! (lovin' every minute of Summer and don't you dare bring the cold weather early!)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Some of the wild apple trees are dropping their apples already. It is way early for that and I chalked it up to lack of rain but this morning I noticed the cat has started to really shed her summer coat. She normally wouldn't start the heavy shedding for a few more weeks. I'm thinking that the warm temps may give way early this year.

·
Banned
3,368 Posts
LvDemWings said:
Some of the wild apple trees are dropping their apples already. It is way early for that and I chalked it up to lack of rain but this morning I noticed the cat has started to really shed her summer coat. She normally wouldn't start the heavy shedding for a few more weeks. I'm thinking that the warm temps may give way early this year.
Yes, the pigs have been loving the apples :) Our leaves are starting to change here-- there are some pretty reds, burgandies and golds. Two weeks ago when I went to Old Forge I noticed they were starting to change there too. Very early for that...

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Queen Bee said:
For a week, it's been 100*-110* today it was 95* it feels almost like Fall! It's too early here to see any signs.. Everything is brown from the high temps and drought conditions, except the golf courses! Queen Bee
Same here in MS. It's so dry the grass crunches when you walk across it.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
The same here in West Central AL, Ravenlost. We did have an unusually cool morning Saturday. We were up around 6:00 AM and I looked out on the back porch at the thermometer and it was 60 degrees. It stayed that way until a little after 7 then started on the upward path. It is suppose to be 105 by Tuesday. 104 today.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Well Winter might be Warn or Cold,and I'm thinking maybe wet or dry.Hopeing Fall will be the same :shrug:

big rockpile

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
We always predict the winter weather by looking inside of persimmon seeds here in AR. Unfortunately, because of the late spring frost this year we're not getting any persimmons to look at.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
The weather guys are saying it's going to be a warmer than usual september/october, if that helps with your question.

the caterpillers around us are out and about, but they're real skinny with little fuzz. (supposed to mean mild winter). Crops and fruits are progressing as usual.

My weather rock has been pretty wet lately, but that's not unusual considering it's in the birdbath this year. ;)

edited to add: On the other hand, it's 36F in the North woods of Wisconsin. That's a touch cold for august, imho.

·
Registered
630 Posts
the birds are flocking early and its hard to see the wood of trees thru the leaf cover... both signs of a harsh winter

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
More on woolly worms. They have 13 stripes said to represent the 13 weeks of winter. Each stipe may be black or it may be brown. Starting at the head of the wooly worm the first stripe is the first week of winter, if brown then mild if black then severe and so on with each stripe.

This conclusion has been scientifically proven within a 98% confidence level by decades of intensive observation and research by 3rd. grade gradjiate hillbillies!

The town of Banner Elk, NC throws a Woolly Worm Festival each autumn, draws thousands.

http://www.visitnc.com/tools_search_schedule_detail.asp?eventid=190442

http://www.woollyworm.com/

Myself, I predict the coming months in North America will be cooler with shorter days and much green becoming absent from plants in many places. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts