about apples

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tabitha, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

we just went to an orchard over in the next county. the apples looked wonderful. everybody always says that you can not grow fruit in Kentucky. they seem to be able to, however, those are the most tasteless apples ever. they look beautiful, but no flavor, no aroma, the red delicious are the worst. where do you all get decent apples? our trees are still too young, the only apple tree that bore a few apples was so out of shape I gave it a good pruning last late winter and it kind of recuperated this season. Now I don't know what to do with these apples, since I paid for them I guess we have to eat them. I guess nobody ever went to an orchard and wanted their money back.

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You CAN make a very good applesauce with bland apples.

I put them whole into a pan and simmer them with just a LITTLE water.

Cool, remove the peels, and squeeze the peels so that any pulp goes back into the pan.

Remove the soft apple off of the core, and squeeze the core and let the pulp drip into the pan.

Now, here is the MOST important part! PUT A FEW DROPS OF LEMON into the apple pulp, and some sugar to taste. The lemon "brings out" the apple flavor, so it is no longer tasteless!!!!!

3. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

I it was Jackson's, I bet Bill would give you a refund.

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

You need to start with a flavorful apple. Most varieties of Delicious that are grown are grown for appearance, not taste.

5. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I planted ten apples trees, in Nov. 1999. They are antique southern varieties and this yr., I have lots of wonderfully delicious apples but they are not 'pretty' apples. Look for varieties such as Limbertwig, Wolf River, Black Amish, Winesapp for great flavor. Most of these are a little tart, crisp and juice and are great for pies, sauces, jellies and fresh eating.

6. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

we lived for a long time in a place with 36 fruit trees, all pretty old and wonderful fruit. It seems commercial orchards only grow a few, they had the delicious, winesap and Arkansas black. Thanks Terri, I'll give that a try. Delicious did not use to be so bland, that is why I bought some, thought they might be okay. when I was a young woman I helped the old man next door with his orchard, he had red delicious that was worthy of the name.

7. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Tabitha.. have you had a frost yet? Delicious need frost to set the sugars... it is one reason why I wait to go to the orchards until after the first frosts. Some early apples get mushy after a frost, but the harder apples set their sugars with the cold.