Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Birth Control
America’s continuing roiling debate over the issue of abortion was non-existent in colonial days prior to the Revolution, indeed prior to the 1800s. Surprisingly to many, this is not because abortion did not yet exist. It’s because there were no laws against abortion. In the colonies, abortion was readily available, relatively safe given the medical knowledge and practices of the time, and completely legal up to the time when the mother felt the first kick of her baby, the quickening. Falsification of the history of abortion notwithstanding, the evidence of the legality and availability of abortion in colonial America is there for whoever wishes to know the truth.

One reason that the punishments for premarital and extramarital sex lessened over time, when they were punished at all by the late 1700s, is that they were so common. Even as far back as the Pilgrim days of Plymouth Colony, premarital sex is evident in the number of so-called premature births, which throughout the entire colonial era was around 40%. Agreeing with English law and practice, the Puritans allowed abortion up to quickening, believing that to be the point of life beginning.

Most babies were born in the colonial era through the assistance of midwives, who were far more prevalent than doctors, and when it came to childbirth usually more skilled. These midwives were also aware of the methods to induce abortion, usually through the use of herbal potions. Surgical abortions were both rare and dangerous, as were all surgeries at the time, given the rate of post-surgical infection.

Nor was there present in colonial American any stigma attached to the woman who chose to terminate her pregnancy through abortion. Strong healthy families were prized in the early American communities, but it was also recognized that families unable to provide their own support could be a burden on the community. Abortion was accepted in these communities without question and were accomplished openly, the midwife a valued member, rather than a pariah lurking on the edge of town.

There were other forms of birth control, none of which were particularly effective given the birth rates of the colonies, which were among the highest in the western world. Abortion was simply not an issue in colonial America, and it was practiced for the most part as a method of birth control, rather than as a medical necessity, as medicine was not far enough advanced to understand most of the dangers presented by some pregnancies. Not until the early 1800s, following the War of 1812, would laws affecting abortion be enacted in any of the former colonies.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
17,244 Posts
A link to the article would help because it is obviously written to try to show abortion has been accepted in US going back to colonization.

I am not a zealot one way or the other, but I think conservatives would be smart to make sure there is sufficient money and support for women who forgo an abortion and agree on adoption. If one wants abortions to be rare, which I do, then make sure the environment is available that encourages that to happen.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
A link to the article would help because it is obviously written to try to show abortion has been accepted in US going back to colonization.
Much of it is from historycollection.com I've seen a number of references to induced abortions in early diaries, but I can't cite nor name the off hand.

There are many fallicies regarding colonial and early america, ie. nobody living past 45 y.o., premartial sex, interracial sex, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do not have a dog in this fight.

wife and I are childfree.

I am also a "Hard Right Consevative" by most standards promoted in society today.

I also hope that the Supreme Court rules to overturn FEDERAL laws on abortion. I would like to see Roe V Wade overturned.

THAT SAID:
I do think that STATES should be able to allow whatever standards they want, and voters support, in their state. IT'S A STATE'S RIGHTS ISSUE. now I also don't fool myself. elections can be manipulated. whether done by "voter" influx or messing with vote tallies... IT DOES HAPPEN.

but hopefully, those who support abortion, will move to states that lean that way, and vote to support those laws. Likewise, I hope that states who lean against abortion, will drive those who want it, to move to a different state, and will attract those who will vote it away.

I don't think we should be aborting people 2 days before they are born. but if someone is not equipped to be a parent, and finds out 3 weeks in, maybe that's OK, for them.

I have further thoughts on potential parents who find out that their is a serious health defect with an unborn child. I will not air those thoughts, here, now. perhaps someone else cares to go there, but I will let it lie.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I feel like abortions have been happening for time out of mind. Each society had their herbs or methods of doing so.
Do I like the idea? Not particularly...but far be it from me to stand in the way of someone else doing it. Current culture of inciting violence over their sincerely held beliefs on abortion is counterproductive and will only lead to harm.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
When are people going to learn that abortion is not birth control?!?
They're not go to learn that, because abortion IS birth control. It's one of the most effective forms of birth control. I assume you mean abortion shouldn't be used as birth control. That's the debate that will never end.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Medically unnecessary abortion is NOT birth control.

Hopefully SCOTUS decides to overturn Roe vs Wade, so that every state can make its own laws regarding abortion. It is very unlikely that all states would make the same laws regarding abortion, so hopefully people who use abortion as birth control will move to the states that make or keep medically unnecessary abortions legal. I also think it would be very unlikely that any state would take away anyone's right to use real birth control (like abstinence, birth control pills or shots, IUDs, condoms, Queen Anne's lace, etc.).

painterswife, you and I have gone rounds on this one, and we both already know where we both stand on this issue ... everyone here already knows.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
First abortion and then other forms of birth control will be taken.
Please tell me where you developed that little tidbit. In my whole life I've never heard one single solitary person indicate that was a goal... not one... ever.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
27,272 Posts
Medically unnecessary abortion is NOT birth control.

Hopefully SCOTUS decides to overturn Roe vs Wade, so that every state can make its own laws regarding abortion. It is very unlikely that all states would make the same laws regarding abortion, so hopefully people who use abortion as birth control will move to the states that make or keep medically unnecessary abortions legal. I also think it would be very unlikely that any state would take away anyone's right to use real birth control (like abstinence, birth control pills or shots, IUDs, condoms, Queen Anne's lace, etc.).

painterswife, you and I have gone rounds on this one, and we both already know where we both stand on this issue ... everyone here already knows.
Then ignore me. If you can post what you want them so can I.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
27,272 Posts
Please tell me where you developed that little tidbit. In my whole life I've never heard one single solitary person indicate that was a goal... not one... ever.

"The talks are still in their early stages. Days after the leak of a draft Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade, Brent Crane, a senior state lawmaker in Idaho, said publicly he wanted to hold hearings on banning emergency contraception. Earlier this month, Louisiana lawmakers considered a bill that would have classified abortion as homicide — and that could, experts say, have criminalized IUDs and emergency contraception as well. The Louisiana bill ultimately failed. "

·
Sock puppet reinstated
27,272 Posts

·
Unapologetically me
21,913 Posts
In the old days it was legal to gun down someone who insulted you or stole your horse.
Guess we should go back to that?
Dead is dead right?

Reactions: Vjk

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
emergency contraception...
A.K.A. the morning after pill is an abortifacient... not a contraceptive.

considered a bill that would have classified abortion as homicide...
Classifying abortion as homicide has nothing to do with contraception.

and that could, experts say, have criminalized IUDs
What "experts" are prognosticating this? pro-abortion experts?? Are they reading tea leaves or are they peering through that third (brown) eye I referred too a little while back?

"The nation’s most restrictive abortion ban is now in effect in Oklahoma.

Gov. Kevin Stitt on Wednesday signed House Bill 4327 into law, which bans abortions from the point of fertilization with limited exceptions. "
Again... this all applies to abortion... not contraception. Just so I'm sure you understand... someone has explained the difference haven't they? Would you like remedial instruction to better understand?

Still waiting for one, single, solitary indication that contraception is under threat... just one!

·
Sock puppet reinstated
27,272 Posts
My post said other forms of birth control. I provided examples. The pill and iUD,s are birth control.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
My post said other forms of birth control. I provided examples. The pill and iUD,s are birth control.
I went back to your first post in this thread:

First abortion and then other forms of birth control will be taken.
You do not mention either the pill nor iUD,s (until post #17 above). You have provided absolutely NO example of birth control (a.k.a. contraception) being threatened... none... nada... zilch.

Reactions: Cornhusker

·
Sock puppet reinstated
27,272 Posts
Other forms of birth control. My words and I provided examples after you questioned me. Not my problem if you don't like the response. It was accurate and on point.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Other forms of birth control. My words and I provided examples after you questioned me. Not my problem if you don't like the response. It was accurate and on point.
I'm sorry but you have given no examples of:

Other forms of birth control.
Please give the post number where that is stated. It's not that I do not like your response... it's that I can't figure out what the hell you're referring to.

You have however given examples of further abortion restrictions as evidenced in the very links you posted:

The other link you provided:

does mention restrictions on birth control and iud's but in it's headline but supplies only supposition and conjecture as "evidence". It also mentions emergency contraception but is in fact referring to the morning after pill, which causes an abortion after conception but is not a contraceptive, which prevents any conception.

I'm truly begining to believe you don't know the difference between contraceptive and abortion... if so, you should study a little before you interject so as to be better prepared.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts