Aborted?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kathy'sKID, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Kathy'sKID

Kathy'sKID Kelly in Nebraksa

What are things to look for to know weather or not a doe has aborted? :shrug:

One of our does, about 2 months along (today is her 69th? day around there), had a discharge this morning, looked like what you see before babies come. Wasn't the plug, too solid looking. But she wasn't contracting, ligaments were firm, . . . I'm thinking she was too early in the pregnancy for these signs? She doesn't really have a discharge any more, a little bloody, like it would be after babies come. So it was by no means a large amount. Otherwise acting fine. Never had a doe abort before so was wondering if this was it or not? :shrug:

Also, how long of a rest should I give her before re-breeding?

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

kathy that is sad. from what you are saying it looks like she aborted. in the early stage of pregnancy you will not see kids, only little blobs. i hat a doe that aborted last year at her 59th day. all i saw was a wet tail. i rebred her three weeks later and she had triplets in june.

3. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Yep, it sounds like a abortion. I had a doe abort ( I didn't know she was bred, so I was happy). Before she aborted, she had a bloody discharge. If she did a little cough or anything it would squirt out. Three days later my daughter cae to me and said the had something hanging out of her. I pulled a baby. She never acted like anything was wrong. Never really say contractions or anything. Keep a eye on her.

4. Kathy'sKID

Kathy'sKID Kelly in Nebraksa

She had a temp yesterday of 104.1 F, but it's back down today at 102.1 F.
    How much discharge should I expect? And for about how long?

5. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Well, If I remember right, my doe had the discharge for like a few days. BUT I could be wrong. I know the vet didn't have me give her anything because she was acting just fine. BUT you have to watch her and make sure her temp does not jump up. Sorry to hear about your loss.

6. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

With a temp of 104 wouldn't one be worried about
    a possible infection and / or possible stuff left over in her
    uterus?