Abnormal milkl

Discussion in 'Goats' started by gccrook, Dec 26, 2004.

1. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

I seem to be having trouble finding specific info on my probelm. We have a doe that kidded a week ago. Only one kid. We started milking her, as she has a lot of milk. I used the little test tabs for mastitis, and they came out OK. The milk looks good, and she milks just fine. However, we noticed after the milk set for a day in the refrigerator, that there was a little reddish ring settled around the bottom of the jar. Is this mastitis? Or is there something else we should look for? These goats came recently to me from a tested herd, but I have not had them tested since I got them. I noticed that there is still a little vaginal discharge. Not sure if this is normal a week after birth. The birth was normal and the kid is healthy and normal.

2. alpinegoatgirl

alpinegoatgirl Member

I've had this happen a couple times; usually with yearling milkers when they first freshen. I've talked to a few people about it (including a vet) and if you're sure its not mastitis and don't have any other problems its completely alright. I was told the small amount of blood in the milk was caused by the small blood vessels breaking in the udder during rapid growth or bruising; i.e. first freshening etc. It should go away in a few days to a week.

BTW; I had a doe with discharge for almost 2 weeks after kidding. From what I've been told its normal unless it goes any longer than that.

Hope this helps! :)

3. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Could possibly just be a little blood in her milk from her udder stretching and capillaries bursting.

That usually stops pretty quickly.

Tracy

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

No, I would not guess that it is mastitis. Is she milking fairly heavily? Sometimes when they first come heavily into milk, there will be a little blood for a few days. I don't believe it is anything to worry about, and should clear up quickly on its own.
    mary

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Well everyone here has told you right, you shouldn't have to worry just make sure you clean good prior to milking and disinfect afterwards. If nothing else happens like heat in the udder or teats etc then the blood with soon dissapate.