Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks-- buddy the wonder mutt is hurting.
found it on his front paw this morning. up in-between his pads. his whole foot is hot. i cleaned it with vinigar and water, put trip-anitibiotic on it.
when i was cleaning it white goo started seeping out in about 10 different little areas, leaking out of the natural pores it seems.
sooo............ what is my best bet for lancing it? razor blades i have. i also have #22(?) needles.
ialso have blue kote. but i wont be able to see anything if i use that first!
i also want to give him a shot of antibiotics. i have pen g procaine. is that ok for this situation?

he is 110# so whats the dose? per day?
DH is layed off so no vet trip

thanks in advance folks
leigh and buddy

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Take a bowl and soak his foot in a cup of Epsom salts for like 20 minutes, with really warm water, 4 times a day...That should help pull the puss out. If no Epsom salts, use peroxide.
And if he will let you, you can help push the puss out too. Maybe once the puss is out more, you can find what (if anything) is stuck in his foot.
I can't help on the antibiotics though, sorry.
I hope he feels better, keep us informed.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Windy beat me to it. Soaking in an epsom salt solution is the most important thing you can do. Once the abcess bursts he should get better quickly (keep soaking for several days, though).

Pen G is usually dosed at 1cc/20#.

·
Banned
782 Posts
I have a tiny min pin that gets that sometimes. Hurts him like crazy for a few days and then it bursts and in a day he is back to normal. He is five years old and has had it three times.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh thanks everybody:bow:
i will try the peroxide soak, dont have salts on hand. will get some though.
he did kinda like the warm vinager solution. till i started pushing around on it.
he is so tolerant which is a good thing since its just me and the kids today:p
wish me luck
getting a 110lb dog, whose favorite activity is laying around, to sit for a foot soak should be fun:p

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well that went well.... i think he is wondering what the heck he did to deserve that:p
he is a trooper..i soaked his foot 3 times then punctured the sore with a large gauge needle....bunch of cloudy liquid came out.
hope thats all there is to that.
havent given him the shot of pen g, dont really want to so i will continue soaking/torturing him....poor old guy
would the shot still be a good idea, just to be safe?
thanks for the advise

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I would give him the shot and put him anti-biotics. Peroxide can be hard on the skin so I wouldn't use that long term...epson salts is better. It's in a good spot for draining but also a bad spot for getting infected. Good job getting it opened...he sounds like a really nice dog and he must really trust you to be able to mess with his foot. Good boy! :)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he is such a good boy!! and now i know why vets make so much-- i feel so bad i'd rather someone else did it!!
he just takes it and will cozy up to me like he is sorry to!
breaks my heart...

i'm getting that satisfying feeling of taking care of him myself and i know i will sleep better tonight knowing he is getting better.
thanks again
i love HT!!

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Keep soaking that foot a few times a day...you don't want that puss pocket to fill back up.
I bet he feels a lot better now :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts