Abcess

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Goatlover, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Goatlover

Goatlover Member

HI,
    I found an abcess on my Nubian buckling's ear :( . It's near the base of the ear, an oval shape about 2-3 inches long. I would appreciate any advice on what to do about it. He is eating and behaving normally. He's 5 months old and 90 lbs.
    Thanks,
    Diana

2. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

Diana,

Please read the information on CL here. See if the symptoms match any of what you are seeing in your buck. From your description the first thing that came to my mind was a CL lump. However, not all lumps are CL, you may want to have this tested by a vet if you can for CL. You could also try to do this yourself with a needle and a syringe, just withdraw some of the fluid. If its greenish yellow and thick with an odor then more than likely its CL. Other possibilities could be a bug bite, sliver from wood. Hope this helps.

Bernice

3. Goatlover

Goatlover Member

Sorry, I meant to say that it,s at the tip of the ear, not the base.
    What can I do abut it?
    Antibiotics?
    Thanks,
    Diana

4. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

From your first posts, it sounded like possible CL. This is probably something else.

5. Goatlover

Goatlover Member

Hi,
    I looked closely at his ear in the sunlight today and found a small puncture
    wound. The bubbl look like a bubbles on kelp, fluid filld. I injected 1 1/2 of penicillin into the bubble. I also gave him the 2 cc in the leg and will put him on pen for 5 days.
    Thanks Vicki, Bernice, Countryboy

Diana