Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking for the source of pus on one of mynew AmChins-- A doe that came with 7 kits.

The seller had told me about this spot on her, and even before she had the kits, made me aware of a problem--

the area looked like it was healing nicely-- but I decided to 'investigate a little further--

upon "squeezing" from behind the front teeth--skin into the mouth-- (I was trying to open her mouth) some of the pus came from her nostril. So, I now strongly suspect an abcess within the upper jaw area-- as the open 'sore'( I had pulled off the scab to see what it was like underneath) on her face is just above the nose, in line with her eye. I tried using the 'box' that was gioven to me to assist in getting her to open up-- to no avail-- and in lieu of finding someone willing to help hold this HUGE rabbit so I can clean things out, I am considering just using a broad spectrum, injectable antibiotic on her for a couple weeks.

Does anyone have any experience with abcesses being so close to the sinus areas? I am pretty sure I can get this thing cleared up given time and patience. But I do not want to medicate her water. Can anyone think of an herbal that she will enjoy chowing down on? I was thinking cinnamon as a possibility.
She is otherwise healthy-- has a wonderful appetite, is friendly, nicely sized, and is tolerating heat well!!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with abcesses being so close to the sinus areas? I am pretty sure I can get this thing cleared up given time and patience.
Yes, and they are very difficult to cure on a permanent basis.
I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Yeah, I have a lionhead doe right now with a huge (like the size of a quarter) one right by her nipple. I noticed it when I was checking her for a uterine infection. Wasn't there a week ago, so it grew really big really fast! Not sure yet, but I think we'll be putting her down since it seems like she has dual infections... I REALLY don't want to lance it!

I thought I read that absesses in the mouth were from improperly meeting teeth? Is the absess in her mouth or in her nose?

Dawn

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beaniemom said:
I thought I read that absesses in the mouth were from improperly meeting teeth? Is the absess in her mouth or in her nose?

Dawn
I am trying to look inside her mouth-- but it's hard when there is only one set of hands--- The seller noticed a 'sore spot' on her face, below the eye, before he bred her. Used an antibiotic in her water and it seemed to clear up.

If I can pinpoint the 'location' of this abcess, I can then get her to my vet for some drainage assistance. He doesn't normally do any surgical stuff on rabbits, but I think I can convince him to sedate gently, so I can levage the abcess. and if a broken tiooth is involved ( it's not an incisor), he can yank it for me.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Terry, I have heard that when you place a rabbit with its head lower than its body that it sort of immobilizes them. It MIGHT not work in this case, as it will make the pressure of the infection more uncomfortable, but it is worth a try. I'd bundle her well in an old towel or the like and set up a slant board. Take an old pillow and make a hollow along its length to cushion her and then place her on the slant with her head down. Maybe a strap to hold her in place so you have both hands free. With many animals, if you press on both jaw joints, they will open their mouths.

This may be a totally useless idea... but I thought I would share it anyway. :rolleyes:

Good luck! Maybe your depressed neighbour could hold her for you. It would help her to help a distressed animal. :angel: Compassion therapy!

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MaggieJ said:
Terry, I have heard that when you place a rabbit with its head lower than its body that it sort of immobilizes them. It MIGHT not work in this case, as it will make the pressure of the infection more uncomfortable, but it is worth a try. I'd bundle her well in an old towel or the like and set up a slant board. Take an old pillow and make a hollow along its length to cushion her and then place her on the slant with her head down. Maybe a strap to hold her in place so you have both hands free. With many animals, if you press on both jaw joints, they will open their mouths.

This may be a totally useless idea... but I thought I would share it anyway. :rolleyes:

Good luck! Maybe your depressed neighbour could hold her for you. It would help her to help a distressed animal. :angel: Compassion therapy!

I like the idea-- I don't want to unecessarily stress the Doe-- it is very apparent that she is a great mother---hmm, the Higher Power did make sure someone invented velcro.....

my depressed neighbor help with that? Nope-- she may inject her own horses, clean their cuts, etc, but actually get down and dirty doing REAL vetwork type stuff-- NAH!!! Infact, on her own animals-- if she can see any deepr than skin tissue--she calls the vet and then complains about the cost for the next 3 months.. some of us are just a bit more inclined to to things ourselves than others are.

·
Okie with Attitude
2,820 Posts
Rabbits can be hypnotized by placing them on their backs and rubbing their tummies. That may help.
I made the mistake of using oat hay for bedding with my rabbits once. I ended up lancing pretty near every one of them to get the little seed head out from under the skin. Nasty cream cheese like substance around them. YUK!
I have never worked on a sinus area. I think if it were me, I would call a vet and see if Benedryl is an option. I know it is OK in many animal and others it will kill dead. I would probably give it penicillin shots for the next 10 days or so. The vet I use has advised that when treating an infection in an animal, treat it till it disappears and them for three more days at least.
If you can get the mouth pryed open, try to wedge a stick in the jaws so You can have a free hand. I wish I was close enough to come help you.
Good Luck.

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
harrisjnet said:
Rabbits can be hypnotized by placing them on their backs and rubbing their tummies. That may help.
I made the mistake of using oat hay for bedding with my rabbits once. I ended up lancing pretty near every one of them to get the little seed head out from under the skin. Nasty cream cheese like substance around them. YUK!

oh my!!! Oat hay!!! I wonder if that could have been the start of this.... The guy has cattle and other larger livestock, and they all share the same barn!!!! Thanks for the hint on something else to look for!!! If the 'cause' of an abcess isn't removed, the issue will remain---

1 - 8 of 8 Posts