Abby update and a question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tamar, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Tamar

Tamar Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I haven't updated ya'll about Abby in a long time.
    Abby was born backwards, the third of triplets...she ended up with a horrible case of naval ill, pneumonia and blindness.

Well,
    After ALOT of work, tons of love...(she is soooo sweet) Abby is now walking! She started a few weeks back. It made me cry to see this little goat that vets said don't bother with stand up on her own! I made a special sling for her to hang in, and foraged for her daily. Her favorite food was sassafras leaves! She walked very wobbly, and still is not using her front legs the way she should, she still buckles a tad as she is not standing on her front hooves, she bends in her first joint above her hooves, but! Every week there is more and more improvement. It has been a struggle as one couldn't see daily improvement, it was more a weekly thing, tiny bits at a time. We are so happy for her! Her playmate "peace" was a great inspiration to her, as she never left her side, always encouraging her to try get up and play. When Abby heard peace eat, she had to try it too.

Here is the deal. Because her legs are not that strong, she ends up getting cold easily. I have a small barn built for her and that is where she sleeps at night with Peace. The ground in it, is starting to bring tears to our eyes. Wow that ammonia in their urine is strong. I cleaned all the hay out, scraped down to the dirt, got all the "wet' stuff out...and want to give fresh bedding. I don't have anything but baking soda around. Could I sprinkle the ground with it to help cut down on the smell?

Any suggestions are welcome, will post a pic of Abby soon, its on my other computer right now.

Thanks for all of you who pm'd me privately, spent time on the phone with me...for all the great tips and suggestions offered her..ya'll are a great bunch!

Blessings
    Tamar

2. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

Lime helps alot and is cheap. I use drystall and love it but is more expensive. I sprinkle drystall down once a week and instantly it smells fresh.

3. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

baking soda under the bedding would help. I would put shavings over that. She sounds like quite the fighter and you are remarkably patient. Wow. I could just see us doing that too. I am not sure if I could do it as well as you have though.

Laurie

4. dap

dap lilsparrow

Bless you for your patience Tamar!! I have no suggestions for you, but vtfarma, where do you get this drystall??? My poor goats are on a dirt floor in their pen too, and I can see where a problem will vaporize in the near future here too!

5. Tamar

Tamar Well-Known Member

Here she is our pride and joy, Abby with Peace beside her. Abby is black, white and brown.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/canadian_Mandy/abbywalking.jpg
    [​IMG]
    Abby will be 15 weeks old this coming Saturday. I don't take credit for her...I am so thankful our prayers were answered, and working with this little determined goat has sure taught me alot of lessons! She is a blessing and inspiration to our whole family. Never give up! :)

I'll try the baking soda today, until I get get out to a farm supply that carries the right lime. The local one told us the only kind of lime they have is for throwing on dead carcasses to help them decay and hold back the smell?? They said it would be toxic to goats. I have no clue...just repeating what they said on the phone.

Have a great day ya'll, and...btw, we are still praying for Abby to see, she tries to look through the hazy bluish patches, and for now is using her ears to "see". :)

Blessings to all,
    Tamar

6. sunflower-n-ks

sunflower-n-ks Well-Known Member Supporter

Tamar - I had a soay lamb born with her front feet wanting to buckle under at the hoof. At the advice of other soay breeders, I made splints to keep the ankles from bending back. I made sure that her little hooves would stick out so she had to put her weight on them to help make the tendons stretch and get stronger. It was so sad to see her struggle to stand, but gradually she did better and better. Now she is fine.

I realize the cause of your does problem could be very different than the lambs, but if having her put weight on her hooves would help, the splints could be a way to go. After trying several different things, I ended up using paper napkins folded thick enough for the support behind her hoof and paper napkins wrapped around that to keep the tape from sticking to her fur and all held in place with duct tape. I found the tape could be "molded" to her hoof to keep it in place but not cut off circulation.

This was a newborn lamb that was about 6 # Size could be a factor in what would work also.

7. dap

dap lilsparrow

There is something at the drugstores now, called "Coban" I think. It might go under different names by different manufacturers :shrug: -anyway, it is a great wrap that sticks to itself and not the animals fur or human skin. It works great. I used to use it on my dog when he had a festering sore on his paw. I think I've seen it in pet stores and I bet if you looked it would probably be in the equine section of the farm stores too.

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

OMG She is a gift from god and so are you. :angel: :bouncy: :goodjob:
    I was going to say to try splints also. Now the Lime we use is called sweet PDZ. It works great. I tell my daughter to get on her hands and knees also when she says the stalles don't need to be cleaned out, that way she can smell what they smell. Someone told her once to leave it all winter becasue it helps keep them warm. well that same someone has a bad case of phnemonia (sp) every year. Now she knows why. Fresh straw helps keep them warm also plus we don't have sick goats all winter.