Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it with men that they have to be so ..........

I have a boss who most of the time is a pretty good boss and the rest of the time can be a PITA. He is supposed to be making my hay for me. The first field I asked him to cut in June - he refused to do it saying it was too soon, and it then torrented it down for a month so in the end I got about half the hay I should have done off that field. Now he has cut my other field and another one that he is cutting for a customer but I am supposed to be getting the hay - fine, weather looks good and we should actually get it baled. That will give me about half of what I need. Then I have another 5 acres that needs cutting and baling, mainly for bedding but it will give the animals a pick if need be - but he keeps putting off and putting off doing it. This is bedding - doesn't need to be perfect - just DONE!!!

He has a stack of hay that he keeps umming and aahhhhing over whether he will sell me any - keeps saying he needs to make money off it. I have told him at least 10 times that I don't want a discount on ANY of it, I just need enough hay to see me through the year. His response - I don't need as much hay as I think I need! Last year I asked for 100 bales - he got me 30!!! and the only reason I got through the year was another guy had a load of leftover bottom bales that he let me have for free as he was going to burn them anyway. Then my next door neighbour farmer sold me a couple of round bales right at the end of the winter to see me through. This year I have more animals and have told him I need 150 bales minimum - his response? "But I have lots of grazing if you need it"

I"VE GOT GRAZING !!!!!!!

So I today I said that I might just get the farmer to cut my bedding - he has newer machinery so he could probably cut and bale it in about a day it is so late in the year. My boss hates the farmer and had a total hissy fit. Starting ranting and raving.

I am sorry - but his pride comes somewhere lower on the list of my priorities then my animals' welfare. I ordered a round bale from the farm today and explained that I didn't have all my hay in yet so wanted to keep the small bales inside and in reserve just in case we had bad weather later. HE got it.

What is it about men that they have to try to be in control of everything??? I have managed all these years without his intervention - now I can't even get my hay made when I need it!!!!

Don't know whether I will still have a job in the morning - to be honest right this minute I don't really care much. I will go in and if he sacks me - great, at least I will be able to go and get someone to do my hay

oh well - rant over

hoggie

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
now, now little lady dont get yer panties in a bunch after all ya do need to be taken care of cuz................... gawd i hate guys like that!!!!!! fortunately they are not all the same huh?

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep - I think it is all about control. Several times I have had to knock him back a bit when he started trying to dictate what I do with my property. He doesn't seem to know where the line is between friendly chat and trying to interfere on my turf.

hoggie

·
Registered
509 Posts
hoggie said:
LOL mare - you've got him.

Hillbilly bob - they'd be much greater and "gooder" (LOL) if he'd stop talking and actually do the job :(

hoggie
I'm sorry I just didn't quite know what to say and that was all that popped into my head but I think you took it to mean just what was typed instead of what I was thinking. Couldn't type that as it would have been deleted. I don't want nor like anyone to tell me how to run or do on my farm that I bought and pay the taxes on. I really can't say what I was thinking and it wasn't about you hoggie.
Hillbillybob

·
If I need a Shelter
21,645 Posts
Could be worse! Could be me ,put your own Hay up :p Come on put them up :duel: :stirpot:

big rockpile

·
Registered
509 Posts
hoggie said:
yeah - that's a point - share. We will read it quick before anyone gets a chance to delete it LOL

hoggie
Nope, sorry I don't want to get my hands slapped nor kicked off the forum. You can rest assured that you were not the subject of what I was really thinking about.
Hillbillybob

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Wow hoggie, he sounds like a strange guy. Oh yeah, I owe you an apology. On the hair thread I thought you were a guy, oops, sorry! You mentioned your boss had a problem with you wearing your hair down, even in a ponytail, so I just assumed you were male, never heard of anyone having a problem with a woman's long hair!?!

It sounds to me like you need to get away from him if there's any way you can. He's not acting like a boss, he acts like he owns you lock, stock, and barrel. It's none of his business how you run your place or where you get your hay, and if he didn't want to provide what you wanted and asked for he should have just said so and you could have found someone else that would do it right. You should not have to worry about what he thinks or how he will react!

If it was me, I'd go ahead and ask the farmer neighbor to do it for you and just not bring it up with your boss, and then when he finally gets around to asking you about it, just tell him you couldn't wait around forever, and it wouldn't have been enough anyway so you just handled it on your own. Good luck!

calliemoonbeam

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks - no worries about the mix-up.

He doesn't have a problem with my hair - he has a "thing" about it. He is a bit of a goat and makes me a bit uncomfortable at times - I know that one of things is my pony tail so I keep it out of the way.

I think a change of job may well be on the cards sometime soon - trouble is, it is the only job of it's kind on the island. But if I need to I can get work anytime just not doing what I love.

hoggie

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
"He doesn't have a problem with my hair - he has a "thing" about it. He is a bit of a goat and makes me a bit uncomfortable at times - I know that one of things is my pony tail so I keep it out of the way." - Hoggie

Oh! Eeeeuuuwwww!!! :eek: That's even worse! ::shudders:: I know what you mean about doing what you love though. Didn't realize you live on an island, how cool, but guess that does make the job situation worse. Well, I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best!

calliemoonbeam

·
Registered
722 Posts
when you ask him can you do it/supply and he hums and haws about it find another source when he crys why didnt you buy from me :Bawling: tell him you couldnt count on him because of his indecision then put it hard to him on
price.if hes a pretty decent bloke he will respect that if not you have not realy lost anything anyway.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.