AARRGGHHH!!! Ladybugs!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by silentcrow, Apr 2, 2005.

1. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

The little beasties are everywhere! Bad enough they get trapped and die in my lights, land on my computer, me, my bed, and everywhere else. Now the buggers are getting into my pants! (ok, stop that dirty thought right there :haha: It is not fun to try and chase a ladybug around your pant leg for 15 minutes, trying to corner it before it bites! :eek: Anyone else being driven "buggy"?

2. mink

mink Well-Known Member

over run up here in new york too......gotta vaccuum the windows all day long...lol

3. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

In the fall, we get hundreds of them in the school windows. I have the kids save them, and then turn them loose in the garden. The little kids are so cute and they are so careful to save the lady bugs.

4. KelTech

KelTech Guest

5. SpiritoftheWind

SpiritoftheWind Member

Between the ladybugs and ants in my house, it's like living in the middle of a wildlife preserve.

Oh well, at least those kinds of critters aren't filthy like roaches.
    EEEeeeeewwwwww.

6. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

We've been overrun with them the last few years. These are the new Japanese variety that were imported for some specific purpose and went haywire. They're dark orange, will bite, and stink to high heavens when squished. Last year the whole west side of the dairy barn was covered. Got in the house and everywhere. Had to vacuum them up and burn the bags.

7. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Ladybugs in your mac 'n cheese. Gotta love it. I was hoping that my grandson would come to visit soon so I could show him how to kill them without all that smell. They can be caught, and then turned around so that you can see their cute little faces. While holding the big part of the body down, just put a fingernail under the little insects chin and then pull up ligty quickly. You will break his little neck if he has one and pull his throat out of his chest, with very little smell. One needs to take care in doing this, because you might lift too hard. This could result in his little head sticking to your finger. Nobody would know what it was until they got real up close and visual with the head. This may lead to a whole new line of amusement. Then there is always the possibility of not snapping the neck firmly enough. This could bring on a one sided snap. Either side being broken (the neck) but not the other. You just toss this one on the floor and watch it travel around in circles, sometimes foreward and sometimes backward. Perhaps someone will invent a new game called pac-bug. Once they are dead they do not move too much, so the bodies could be accumulated in a pile for future use arount a grandson's mom; she deserves it.

This is your tax dollar$ at work, if you are still contrubuting dollar$ to the powers that be and know best about things like bugs.

8. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

9. cybercat

cybercat prowler of the internet

These are NOt ladybugs. But an invasive japanse beetle. Contact you extention office for help. They have traps for them they are very bad for many plants. Many states have an program to get rid of them because they are so bad and kill many plants and good bugs. Some will wipe out whole crops of potatoes and fruit. Please do your research on your lady bugs and make sure they are Good and not bad.

Tamara

10. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Chickens like them. So, vacumm the critters in the house, but let your chickens enjoy them outside.

11. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Y'all northerners just try to hang on until it gets warm up there & they'll all go outside to eat your gardens & then your macaroni & cheese will be safe until next winter. I thought they'd never leave, but one day they were all gone & life is good again.

12. athome in SD

athome in SD Well-Known Member

Our chickens wont eat them, I wish they would but they dont. They wont
    touch the boxelder bugs either.

We do spray and it helps alot. I would just go insane if we didnt. We
    spray 3 times each year and that seems to keep them pretty much
    at bay.

Christina
    athome in South Dakota

13. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, we have them everywhere too, but I'm told these are those beetles, not real lady bugs, but they sure bite and stink! I was told that old-fashioned fly paper hung in their active places helps. I use it in the chicken house in the summer, but haven't seen the stores carrying it yet.

14. margo

margo Well-Known Member

There are waaaay too many for my needs, that's for sure...they get into everything, including some that dunk into my coffee cup, and I can't handle that. :haha: I didn't ask them where they're from, just want them to go back....Margo

15. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Okay, Asian lady beetles and Japanese beetles are not the same thing. Asian lady beetles look mostly like the lady beetles you are used to hanging around your garden. They are beneficials that eat aphids. You can tell the difference by looking at the plate right behind the head. (the head is tiny) On this white plate is a black M, or W depending on from which side your looking from.
    They stink when you break their legs, and they bite because they are looking for food or water. And they love to come into your house.

The Japanese beetle looks like the ones on this web page: http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/housing/japanese-beetle/jbeetle.html

Scroll down a little and you will find a picture that you can click to make bigger. They aren't even the same color.

16. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

And HI to Westwood, haven't seen you around for awhile!

17. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

You know those aren't regular old ladybugs. Those are killer ladybugs. They come in hoards, surround their prey and attack. Watch out. They especially like small animals.

18. Terri in WV

Terri in WV Well-Known Member Supporter

south central Kentucky(finally out of all the snow
    We were getting so invaded by the beetles, wasps and ants that when my bro brought over some Ortho Home Defense Max I broke down and used it and now I'm happily sweeping up their little corpses.

19. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

I have those ladybugs all over the house. They sting when you kill them. I thought they were ladybugs. Look like ladybugs. where did they come from? are they japaneese beetles or what? The chickens want eat them,I really do not want to spray. They are a pain. they get into the light fixtures and around the window sills. Stink when smashed.
    tnborn

20. gleepish

gleepish Well-Known Member

Taken from http://www.ipm.msu.edu/beetleFAQ.htm#2 after a quick google search:

"Even though there are measures that can be taken to eliminate the beetles as they appear in the house, the long-term solution to eliminating your beetle "problem" in the house is prevention.

Outdoors preventative tactics
    Beginning in the early fall, monitor the sunlit side of your buildings for swarming beetles. These are areas where they will collect prior to moving into hibernation sites. You can apply an insecticide registered for outdoor use. If it is practical, caulk obvious cracks and spaces where the beetles can gain access, check attic vent screens and repair if necessary, caulk wherever a pipe, conduit, telephone or cable TV wire goes through the siding, and ensure that the weather seal on basement windows is tight.

Indoors preventative tactics
    Making the effort to eliminate points of entry from the outside into hibernating areas is helpful. The real key to prevention is to also conduct the same inspection on the inside walls and make repairs, where necessary. After all, you probably wouldn't care how many multi-colored Asian lady beetles were hibernating under your siding, in your walls voids and attic if none of them entered your living space. Pay close attention and caulk all those places where pipes, conduits and wires come through the walls. You can use an insecticide indoors, but we don't recommend it. Why? One of the biggest reasons is that the weather outdoors is still cool or cold and the furnace is running. That means the house is closed up and the insecticide is being re-circulated throughout the home -- probably not a good idea. Additionally, when the bugs you have sprayed die, you will have to clean them up anyway. That is why we suggest using a vacuum to eliminate the beetles. A dust buster-type vacuum is ideal because it has a bag that can be emptied."

We get over run by these buggers too--ick! But it only lasts for a few days and then they are gone, but boy does my vacuum get a workout when they are here! But I like the burning of the vacuum bag mentioned above--just letting them lose in the back yard makes me wonder how many times I've sucked up the same bug over and over and over again!

Good luck getting rid of yours!