aaarrrgggghhhh Evil Triple Wall Stove Pipe.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Oct 21, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Man, I need to buy some triple wall. It is 88.00 a 36" piece at TSC.

Just figured I would complain to you all and maybe someone would say...

"Hey I have some sitting here I will sell you for a little money" Or...

"Hey you idiot, I bought mine at "xxxxxxxx" for only 50 bucks a 36" piece"

2. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Sorry...I don't have any. I just thought I would drop in and give you grief over the "evil" things you keep encountering. First EWC's and now triple board. :nana: I just couldn't resist.

3. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

Triple wall isnt evil, it will however prevent that "evil house fire" episode if you use it wisely. It rates right up there with a real flue, which would cost you a bundle more. =)

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

We're praying for you, ZYG.

Really, there is a driveway I pass on my way to and from work everyday that has about 6-feet of triple-wall...or maybe it's metalbestos...used chimney for 25 bucks.

5. seedspreader

Let me ask this, do you all know, does metalbestos and all the other "triple wall" stuff work together?

P.S. It figures.

6. Cabin Fever

No, you can't combine triple-wall with Metalbetos chimney. I believe triple-wall that has a 6-inch inside diameter flue, has a 10-inch outside diameter. Metalbestos and similar chimney pipe, which is actually double-wall with insulation between the walls, has a 6-inch inside diameter and an 8-inch outside diameter. I've only used double wall, insulated chimney pipe (Dura-Vent brand).

7. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

We are having to buy a lot of stuff to install our stove properly. My husband found a place locally that quoted him a price of around $1500 and he found the same set up online for about $870 including the shipping price.

Sherry in GA

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I saw some of the pipe at the local Habitat surplus store a few weeks ago. If you have one of these surplus sales stores for merchandise given to Habitat I suggest you check there. It amazes me what they have for sale.

9. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I'll trade ya.
    I've got about 14' connected to my wood stove...
    Will trade for a masonry built fireplace....

Yea, that's a good trade, Right??? :D

Reminds me of a Far Side cartoon......two ironworkers sitting on a beam on a skyscraper, eating lunch...One guy asks the other if he wants to trade his sandwich for a 'skunk sandwich'...with a picture of one guy with a regular sandwich and the other with two slices of bread w/skunk in between...

I know they're real 'proud' of the triple wall stuff.

10. seeda

seeda Member

I see you are in NE Ohio. If you decide to redo and use metalbestos the cheapest place around is at Hartville Hardware for 69.99. Ouch!!! We just bought about $800 worth. Don't know where to get triple walled stuff though. We want to move from the city and intend to take pipe with us. We need to get out of the city. Everyone on the street refers to us as the damn hillbillies so at least we have the comfort in knowing we irritate them as much or more than they irritate us. Do you know of an area in NE Ohio with cheap land and not much to no development going on? DH works in Streetsboro but land is still too expensive and we want more than just a few acres in an area with preferably no major building going on. No areas around here qualify for that and we really don't know how far out we need to go to achieve this. Presently we are in Akron. Any suggestions appreciated

11. seedspreader

Don't know of any land over that area. There is still some "cheap" (being relative in NE Ohio) land west and south west of me toward sullivan/ashland area. But that would be quite a drive for the hubby. We are about 10 miles southwest of Medina. In my opinion the only place to find actual cheap land in Ohio is MidEast (Carrollton county area) and South East Ohio.

As far as no major building going on... ha...

The reason we live in the township we do is that they have a 5 acre minimum to build and it's still rural/farmers.

My house is 120 years old and we have about 13 acres.

12. Yvonne's hubby

Yvonne's hubby Murphy was an optimist ;) Staff Member

I cant help ya in ohio, but I know where there is some fairly cheap ($1500 per acre or so in my area for 20 to 30 acres) land in Ky. you sound like you would blend right in with us Ky hillbillys.

13. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

trple wall goes by brand too.. some brands wont connect to others.

when I see pipe in the summer, I buy it (used). I got my moms pipe for 250 bucks, 5 3ft sections and a wall kit.

mine... oh you dont wanna know what I paid for mine new.. lol

this yr I havent found any used... I look all the time.

14. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I need two sections for my cookstove.....even at cost its pricey....hubby's supply store carries it and their markup isnt that much....I know block chimneys are much cheaper but dont work in all spaces...so sometimes you gotta bite the bullet.....
    Personally I'll be glad when someone develops a money tree....

15. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Having covered a multitude of house fires myself as a newspaper reporter and now editor since 1980, and having endured a house fire of our own (caused by an electric short NOT our wood-burning heater) triple-walled pipe is one thing I will not relent on....even if it's expensive it's worth the safety it provides for your family....and even then make certain it is installed correctly!

Also everybody remember to have battery-operated smoke detectors in your homes. They are cheap and can really save your lives!

16. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Oh---and I didn't mention that we have basically heated solely with wood since 1979.

17. Cabin Fever

So, what fraction of a cord of wood does it take to heat a home in tropical Alabama?

18. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Hey you idiot, I bought mine at Lowe's for $57.00 (but that was in 2000). It's expensive, but it's worth it.

19. seedspreader

Funny you should say that...

I have switched up my game plan and changed the manufacturers. I took back my simpson duravent and switched to SUPERVENT which is carried at the big box stores (lowes) for a little over 57 bucks each. It is a class "A" chimney also and I actually like the look a little more.

20. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Glad to be of service. :happy: