Aaahhhh! Lady Bug/japenese Beetle Infestation!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by myrandaandkids, Oct 2, 2006.

1. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

when we moved in here the house had been empty for a couple of years and the owner said there was a problem with lady bugs, well that was an understaement, they were in the ceilings and walls and attic and basement, in the windowsills and door jamms, but we killed alot of them and as spring came closer they seemed to disapear so we assumed they were gone for good, now they are coming back, all over my kids windows and crawling across the ceilings, its really gross to grab for the door knob and instead smush a bunch of beetles, anyone know how to get rid of these things? will bombing the house with roach repelent work?any other remedies? :shrug:

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

LOL, Gone for good??? nah, it just got warm out.

My suggestion if you have to do ANYTHING is to get yourself a vacuum cleaner and vroom suck em up and put em out. I sure wouldn't fill my house with all the pesticides to kill them.

We think of them as temporary pets around here. We feel like the disney world for the Lady Bug world... you know a place to go in the winter time. Yeah they are frustrating, but they certainly aren't harmful

NOW, talk about a pest, we get this fellow: [​IMG]

Western Pine Cone Leaffooted Bug

They stink when you squash them, or even when you scare them... They usually get a nice little wrapping of TP and down the toilet.

3. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

There were a ton of dead ones and a bunch of live ones here when I bought the house this April. Cleaned 'em up, all was well until today. I think a million of them hatched this morning, and yes, they're everywhere! Even between the window and the screen, and there's no telling how they even got in there. I still have a few late flies, so I'm alternating between spraying Raid Flying Insect and swatting any little moving spot, but the invasion calls for the vacuum cleaner. Starting tomorrow (well, today), I think sucking them up twice a day should at least make a small dent.

4. zookeeper16

zookeeper16 Karaoke Queen

I could complain because we are overwhelmed with box elder bugs right now.....but at least they don't stink when you kill them! But they are bigger!

5. MtnGranny

MtnGranny Well-Known Member

Yep, theyr'e seasonal. Spring and fall. Vacuum is your best friend.

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

There were thousands swarming through the air and crawling on the sunny side of our buildings yesterday. It would give me great satisfaction if the USDA would fire whatever scientists were responsible for importing these dern bugs! There will never be a wonderful Indian Summer fall day in Minnesota ever again now that these bugs are here.

7. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

yikes! and here i was having a pitty party cause we have a great burst of house flys and green lace wings. hmmmm....wonder if a vac would work on them?

8. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

We get 'em too. Everyone else is right - vacuum them up. They stink when you vacuum them (they emit a chemical under stress) so use air freshener and change your vacuum bag often. It doesn't last forever.

Here are some photos of our ladybugs last spring.

9. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

There is only one thing I know of that will actually kill them. It's called PY-80 or something like that. I get it at the co-op and I believe it's used for dairy cows, but it will kill ladybugs. It can be used indoors (it says on the label that you can use it in your office...), but I open all windows after spraying to air it out. I sprayed the areas where I thought they were coming in about 2 years ago and so far :happy: only a handful have appeared. I just pick those off or vacuum them up. If your co-op doesn't know what I'm talking about, I get the actual name off the label when I get home.

10. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

There are 2 products, one from Ortho, & one called Enforcer in a red bottle, that are used around here every fall now. Spray it around the openings to your house (windows, doors) and it lasts for 6 months or so.

They will pile up dead by the doors, insrtead of coming in the house.

These are the bugs the govt imported that were supposed to control aphids. While they do eat aphids, they don't do enough. So now we need to spray the soybeans for aphids, and the house for these Asian beetles (look like lady bugs, but are different).

They are used to hibernating wherever they are native, and love to use your house for such. They swarm in during the last warm days of summer, and come out again in spring. Aweful smell. Don't know that you really want to kill them in the middle of winter in your house, they are piled in thick & deep, not sure that would be good to make them all dead in there.

They will creep out & swarm the lights & crawl around on warmer winter days.

They like to taste you to see if you are food. Their bite hurts, tho they really aren't trying to hurt you. They stink something aweful.

--->Paul

11. Salmonberry

Salmonberry Registered Nut

These aren't true lady bugs. They are a little more orange and there is something different about there spots. I think they have come over from Asia somehow, but they are not our benign little lady bug. I'll try to find more info.

Salmonberry

12. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

13. Salmonberry

Salmonberry Registered Nut

14. zookeeper16

zookeeper16 Karaoke Queen

They don't just bite fingertips....they will bite any part of your body! Thankfully it doesn't hurt long.

15. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

They must prefer certain folks, I've never had one bite me... but mosquitoes... they LOVE me.

16. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

they are attackng!!!! you cant walk through a room or outside with out being swarmed and bitten, my son is rocking back and forth in his room freaking out(shawn, hes high functioning autistic) and i am being driven crazy!!!

17. RLStewart

RLStewart Well-Known Member

We must be lucky, they haven't showed up here yet this year. Last year there were a couple of days that they just swarmed everywhere. We weren't in the house yet so it wasn't a big deal but in the spring when I was painting they were still really bad in one room. I'd be flicking ladybugs off the ceiling as I went! Its been pretty rainy here so maybe they are waiting for a nice day.

18. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Rose, the original lady bug you picture is way cool, never causes a problem.

These new Asian type were imported by the govt to control an aphid problem 'naturally'.

However they don't really control the aphid problem; and they are nasty stinking biting bugs that swarm into buildings - like a house - to hibernate.

Not cool.

--->Paul

19. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Yes, the dairy cows have been swarming something awful here in Vermont... :baby04:

20. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

Its pretty sad when you hate to see a warm day in the fall because of these beetles. I have them too and they drive me nuts. We need a predator for them.....