Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case we were bored with Spring droughts, Summer floods, and hay predicted to be £6.00 per bale this year.......

Britain has just announced a confirmed outbreak of Foot and Mouth!!!

That might confuse my plans for this Autumn slightly :Bawling: Just about ready to give up now. All I can hope for is that it stays away from us again. The last two outbreaks have not made it to the islands so we have a good hope but -

hoggie

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
Oh no! Where was the outbreak confirmed? Do you know? Let's hope they can keep it confined to a small area.

I know the last outbreak was devastating, not just for the farmers, but the tourism industry and a lot of other people.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In Surrey. Cows. They seem to have jumped on it pretty quick with exclusions zones and movement bans etc. Depends really whether there's been any traffic in or out of the farm in the last few weeks. It could already be everywhere - not that I am paranoid or anything :shrug:

hoggie

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Hoggie, where I live in east Texas, we have had so much rain in the past several months it is making everything so difficult. Hay is anywhere from $8.00 to $9.50 a square bale, and that is just unheard of. Bagged laying pellets or mash for hens is $12.50 for 50 lb. bag. I can't afford to feed my hens laying pellets anymore. They're still laying ok, and I give them some cheap dry cat food to help with protein boost.

I remember the hoof and mouth outbreak too, remember how devistating it was to the farmers over there and was heartbroken and sickened by all the animals destroyed. I will say prayers that it doesn't spread. That might sound silly, but sometimes praying is all we can do in some situations.

I really enjoy hearing about things over there, and I always read your posts. Do you have a digital camera that you could take some pics with so we can see what it's like where you live? It sounds like a nice place.

·
Premium Member
18,009 Posts
hoggie said:
Just in case we were bored with Spring droughts, Summer floods, and hay predicted to be £6.00 per bale this year....
So, how much is that in real money?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Good grief! I think I'd be letting my lawn grow tall and bale that instead of buying hay!

Hey, actually, that's not a bad idea. Now I have to figure out how to cut and bale my yard without buying equipment....<think, think, think>

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks moonwolf. Time difference meant I was asleep LOL.

The hay I think I have got around - I have just taken on about an extra 6 acres of land (intending to get another horse and some sheep in the Autumn - looks like that won't be happening now :( ) and I am having all of it cut for hay. Some will only be bedding for the pig as it is no good but between my own and my boss who does contract baling and has some weedy stuff he is going to bale for me for the goats, I think I will be OK. I ought to add that the £6 per bale is on the ground, if the island runs out of hay and we have to ship it form England, then it is an extra £5 per bale shipping.

Rose garden - I will see if I can post some pics. I only have a digital camera on my phone wich is fine for the odd picture but not very good for landscapes and stuff. I could always take some film photos and scan them to post. I will see what I can do.

The foot and mouth - I have come to the point where I think pray is about all anyone can do. I will post updates as they come through.

hoggie

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Humans can be infected with foot-and-mouth disease through contact with infected animals, but this is extremely rare. Because the virus that causes FMD is sensitive to stomach acid, it cannot spread to humans via consumption of infected meat. In the UK, the last confirmed human case occurred in 1967...
Of course, it was likely the added wet that caused the virus to flourish. And destruction of the infected livestock is usually what the law demands - although it is generally unneeded unless it is a severe outbreak!

An outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease in the United Kingdom was confirmed by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, on 3 August 2007, at a farm in Surrey, near Guildford, England. 60 cattle have tested positive since symptoms were reported late on 2 August 2007, when the farm was isolated and placed under restrictions. They will duly be culled in accordance with agricultural legislation. All livestock on the premises will be culled. A nationwide ban on the movement of cattle and pigs has been imposed, with a three kilometre protection zone currently in place around the affected farm and a further ten kilometre zone of cattle surveillance. There is expected to be a ban on exports to the EU.

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
The European Union (EU) is to ban British livestock and meat exports after the discovery of a case of foot-and-mouth disease in south-east England, Minister Ed Miliband says.
"There will be a ban on exports within the European Union. That is automatically imposed as a result of the finding of foot and mouth disease," he said.
European Commission spokeswoman Christiane Hohmann had said that Britain was complying with legislation to prevent the spread of the disease.
An emergency decision will be adopted Monday "confirming the measures being applied concerning restrictions on the movement of animals and the dispatch of products" from Britain, she said.
Britain has moved swiftly to impose strict biosecurity measures and slapped a ban on all animal movements since the virus was confirmed in cattle at a farm 53 kilometres south-west of London late Friday night.
- AFP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts