Aaaaaahhhhh......Too many!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ozarkguy, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

Oh help me Mr. Wizard! I have way too many cucumbers this year! Is this a good year for cukes or do I finally have this gardening thing down pat? :haha:

Anyways, I have too many cucumbers, and I asked several friends who also have too many. But aside from pickles, WHAT can we do with all the extra cucumbers?

Thanks so much for any input on this. I realize if I leave them on the vine it will tell the plant to "shut down" production. But that seems like such a waste. I'd rather keep the garden producing like it is and find something to do with all the extra cukes.

gotta love those hills.....

Ozarkguy

2. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Invite all your friends and neighbors over for tea and cucumber sandwiches!

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe grated cucumber makes a good face mask. lol
    We have way too many as well this year, but I am so busy trying to deal with the bushels of tomatoes and peppers that I haven't really done anything with the cuks other than serve them at every meal and hand them to the children as snacks.

4. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

Did that. :haha: And gave the relatives some. And the neighbors. And brought some to a food drive. And, and, and.....

But now I think I'd like to find a way to do something with them for Me? i.e. A way to keep them or preserve them or ....can you say cucumber pie? hmmmmm....

What do YOU folks all do with the extra cucumbers from your gardens? :confused:

gotta love those hills.....

Ozarkguy

5. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

In a large jar.... diced cukes, cauliflower, mushrooms, peppers, carrots....whatever you have....
    Add....boiled oil and vinegar dressing with a cup of sugar per 2 cups dressing.
    Marinade for days or weeks, depending on your supply. Water bath to keep longer.
    Great salad-in-a-jar for those winter blahs.

6. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

So far my husband has surprised me with eight 5-gallon buckets full. I've made gallon jars pickles, breads and butters, relish, chop suey pickles, and have given away 3 buckets. There is a bucket sitting out on the porch as I write this. I am seriously thinking about buying a juicer and adding the juice to tomato juice, that is if the tomatoes make it this year.

7. LWMSAVON

LWMSAVON Well-Known Member

a neighbor gave us a bunch of cucumbers and I made sweet pickle relish, cucumber relish, ate some in salads, as well as made a cucumber salad. Finally got them ate or canned in something. LOL

8. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

do you like salty relish with your beans? Mix 4 cups cider vinegar, 8 cups water and 1 cup pickling salt. Wash your cucumbers and cut off both ends but don't peel. Chop them coarsely and let drain. Put enough chopped cucumbers in the liquid mix so that the liquid just covers them. Heat to boiling and immediately put into jars and seal. If any of the lids don't seal you can put them in the fridge until you use them. They are good anytime after 2 or 3 days and will keep all year if sealed. Good with beans and cornbread or fried taters.

9. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

OK all you guys with too many anything can always ship them out to me! I never have too many anything. I have a veggie stand and always more customers than veggies. I do have some folks here growing stuff for me but still never too many.
    ps I pay well especially for organically grown stuff.
    Steff

10. bluereef

bluereef Active Member

You can mince them up with tomatoes, peppers, and maybe some zucchini for a great gazpacho (a refreshing Spanish cold veggie soup). I use a food processor. I love my gazpacho with extra cucumbers. http://www.foodtv.com will have plenty of good gazpacho recipes. Gazpacho is very flexible in terms of what you add.

Then, try canning the gazpacho in your pressure canner if you have one (most gazpachos are fairly low in acid so a boiler canner is too risky).

Gazpacho is a great pick-me-up for dinner on a hot summer night.

-----------
    I also make a refreshing cold cucumber "salad" out of

- chopped cukes
    - finely minced red onions
    - small finely minced clove of garlic
    - an optional tsp of fresh grated ginger (not dried)
    - salt and pepper
    - sour cream (or yogurt or something equally "creamy")
    - and juice of half a lemon or lime (or vinegar)

If you let it sit overnight, the cukes will release some water and loosen up the mixture. The salad lasts about a week in the fridge. If I use extra sour cream or or add water, then the extra "milky" stuff makes a great "creamy cucumber and onion" flavored salad dressing.

I will often throw whatever extra crunchy veggies I have on hand into this salad (celery, carrots, peppers, radishes, green onions, etc.). Sometimes I add a few dashes of crushed red pepper flakes for an extra zing (the cukes and sour cream have a great cooling effect).

This salad goes great over spicy meat dishes like chili and curries. It helps to "tone down" the hot spices.

Wendy