Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Amanda
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening I went out and hayed every one. I have 4 does that are due tomorrow, and 3 of them attacked the hay and started building nests! It is getting colder at night, so they have nice wooden boxes with tops on them, and unlimited hay, other than that, all the cages are covered on all sides with a tarp. I sure hope the babies don't freeze again.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Woohoo!!! I had a little trouble with my kits during cold snaps last winter, when I was using only hay as nesting material. So I started adding wood chips/shavings in the bottom below the hay. That really helped my kits survive and stay more warm and comfortable. I think that it helps wick their urine away from them and keeps them drier, and is also a good insulator. Just keep an eye on it and be sure to change it as needed to keep the kits dry. Also be sure mama has pulled enough fur. One time one of mine didn't pull enough fur but her fur was still pretty loose from when she had kindled so I gently pulled out a little more to cover the kits with. That worked pretty well that time. Some people use fur from other does, but I didn't have any at the time. Good luck! I hope you get a lot of fat little healthy kits :)

·
Amanda
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, one doe out of 4 has had her babies. She is part Flemish giant and part checkered giant/NZW cross. The buck she was bred to was a NZW. She is a first time mama, and had her babies on the wire. She build a nice nest, but it wasn't where it was supposed to be. I put the 6 babies in the box. I sure hope she does a good job.

I am not giving up on the other 3 does just yet. I know that they can go a few days over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts