a welding cart made from a old tiller?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Oilpatch197, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Hey I want to make a welding cart for a CO2 tank, and I got a old beat-up tiller, would it be practiable to convert the tiller to a tank dolly?

Does the Tank need to be competely vertical or can I have it at an angle?

I'm going to have the two wheels and in the front when I remove the gear box I can just weld on a leg and have the tank go thru where the Engine was and have a base, and a tool box on the cart.

What do you all think?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I think the only tank that has to be upright is acetylene so it will mix correctly. Someone correct me if that's wrong. Whatever the tank sits in should be stable because you don't want any of those cylenders to fall over!

3. DraftFlavored

DraftFlavored Well-Known Member

That is absolutely correct with regard to acetylene.

4. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

you will want to have it in a reasonable up right position as CO2 does compress in to a liquid under pressure, so does propane and some other gassess,

if your are with in 15 degrees of up right I don't think you will have any problems, if you would lay it on it side and the tank is over 1/2 full you could be getting liquid CO2,

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

My oxy-acet cart is an old lawnmower that was cut up and welde together about 30 yrs. ago by my Dad. Use an old seatbelt from a car to keep the tank stable.