A watched tomato...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by katydidagain, Aug 31, 2004.

1. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

never ripens?

When I left for vacation early Wednesday morning, all was green. Came home Saturday and lo and behold I had enough red romas and grapes to fill 3 trays in the dehydrator. Suddenly, I've found several huge pumpkins and winter squashes happily humming away on vines which did nothing but flower for ages. Bonus? I've picked 2 cantalope. Okay, the weeds had a field day too but suddenly "summer"?

I'm certainly not complaining but perhaps it's true: absence makes the fruit grow quicker.

katy

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I'm drowning in tomatoes. :D I've taken to eating one meal a day in the garden, just chowing down on fresh picked tomatoes and herbs. :)

3. katydidagain

Hey, do all the r's stand for ripe? :haha:

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting. I'm sick of nibbling arugula and basil; I, like other unfortunates, just wanted some red stuff... :D

katy

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I have them rotting in piles. :( I need a canner. :no: I've been giving them away though.

5. katydidagain

Okay, so anyone with an 'r' or more in their name has tomatoes in spades; good for you! :)

Gosh, I merely boasting and not bragging.

katy

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

I almost began by saying that there wasn't an "r" in my name but there is. And I do have a tomato or two. Brought in about 35-40 pounds this aft. That was off only two Tigerella plants! First batch of 7 quarts are cooling and another 7 scheduled for tomorrow night. Those will be for chili fixin's. With Tigerella just barely making 2" fruit, I wasn't about to peel them! So, blended to a puree, cooked, and canned. Next will come Aztec, Wisconsin 55, and Mother Russia. They'll be peeled and quartered for stew tomatoes. Ponderosa Pink and Tidwell German will be used for "thickener" in the stew batches. After that, spaghetti sauce from Italian Plum, Paquebot Roma, and whatever else is ripe among the 40+ plants. Way too many! Still trying to figure out what I should do with all of the Black Cherry, Aunt Ruby's German Green, and Mr. Stripey!

Martin

7. katydidagain

Okay, Martin without a single 'r' in your registered moniker, you've harvested a "few" as have others with 'r's in their forum names. Pffft! What's it take to impress this group? 'R" challenged folks are coming...I can feel it...

katy

BTW, my last tomato soaking worked pretty well, I think. Currants are in safely in packets. :D

8. Paquebot2

Paquebot2 Guest

Katy, did I see the word "currant" in your post? You DO know that currant tomatoes have blossoms which are different from normal tomatoes and will readily cross with all others? Whereas pure seed from regular tomatoes can be expected with 35' isolation, it jumps up to 150' for currant tomatoes. Just thought that I'd remind you of that in case you get all sorts of strange results next year!

Martin

9. katydidagain

Well, darn. I'm not sure about the currant's growing conditions. They showed up on my mother's kitchen table one day and I confiscated them. No, I didn't know about the flowers so thanks for the heads up! Though I never offer extra seeds or plants from my "hoarding" until I'll grown them at least 2 years, I'll take extra care with this batch. Flashing back to those hybrid volunteers with the huge, nasty cherries...what a waste of space!

katy

10. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I envy you all that still find a vine ripened tomato to be a treat. We have had so many tomatoes this year beginning in late May that they have lost a lot of their special appeal. Am looking forward to fall peas and my 4 kinds of sweet potatoes though. Squash were a disaster this year though - too much rain and too much humidity which leads to fungus of all kinds.

11. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

Start making tomato juice! I love it. We just core them, cut them up, put them in a roaster to cook them down. Then run them through a juicer. Put in a large pot, bring to a boil. Put one teaspoon of salt in a qt. jar and fill up with hot juice. Cap and let cool. Leave about 1/2 to 3/4" head space. The jars will seal and pop. CAN'T BEAT this juice for drinking or making chili.

We have canned over 12 gallon this year so far. I have some 1/2 gallon jars so it doesn't take as many lids. But I am afraid the juice won't last as long. :waa: Because when you use qt. jars you only are opening up a jar that only holds half of the 1/2 gal. jar. I can make a qt. last a couple days. I think I will drink the 1/2 gal. in the same amount of time. I love that stuff. I have very low amount of self control. :eek: When I get back from my dove hunting trip next week I will be making a bunch more juice and put it in qt's.

Steve

Hint: use a cordless drill to turn the juicer and it will make it a lot faster and easer. :D

12. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I'm so scared of botulism, I want to use a pressure cooker for everything! I should still be juicing them though and keeping it in the fridge to drink. I forgot that I like fresh tomato juice! :eek:

13. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

What a shame! take your tomatoes, boil them down, run them through a seive and freeze the pulp in muffin tins. Or make some tomato soup with it and freeze that. You don't have to have a canner.

14. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

We had a lot of rain here in VA but I planted two different patches of sqaush and zucchini. One did fine at the beginning and the other did fine at the end of the season.

I froze squash and zucchini till I ran out of freezer space.

15. Anniebek

Anniebek Well-Known Member

You do NOT have to pressure can tomatoes!! All you have to do is add a bit of acid (citric acid or lemon juice) and water bath them. We have never lost a water bathed jar of tomatoes, either in juice or whole.

Anniebek