A VERY handy tool

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Old Jack, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

If you use Internet Explorer and you post in forums much, this little unit works real well.
    J

http://www.iespell.com/
    from the site:
    ieSpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell checks text input boxes on a webpage. It should come in particularly handy for users who do a lot of web-based text entry (e.g. web mails, forums, blogs, diaries). Even if your web application already includes spell checking functionality, you might still want to install this utility because it is definitely much faster than a server-side solution. Plus you get to store and use your personal word list across all your applications, instead of maintaining separate ones on each application.

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law keeps telling me "DON'T DOWNLOAD ANYTHING". So now I'm afraid of EVERYTHING. How do you know if things are safe?

3. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

I download it to a (in this case) Utilities folder, virus check it than run it.
    Eventually I back up the utilities and other folders on CD.

4. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I'd like to have that, but I don't have much luck getting stuff in folders. Maybe about half the time it works. The rest of the time, I don't have a clue where it went. I haven't had a computer very long.

5. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

When you download things, most browsers under most operating systems let you pick where to download to. They will actually ask before starting the download. If you dont want to go searching, choose desktop or my documents or create your own download folder. Been long time since I regularly used IE, but there may be a setting you can make for where to download by default. Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera browsers definitely have this option.

In case you do download something without forcing it to certain place, windows and most operating systems have a search function. On windows95 and newer, push START button and "Find" or "Search" should be there in the menu. Click it and tell it what to search for and where. It can search any and all partitions on your hardrive or cdroms or floppydisks or flash cards or whatever storage system that it can see. You can use entire file name or just a keyword for the search.

6. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

i axtuallee hav that one, itt werks grate when yoo remember to use it.

7. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Well, I have it in a new folder somewhere, so what do I do with it now? Please explain this like you were talking to a kinda stupid 5 yr. old that doesn't speak very good English.

8. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

(1) find the folder
    (2) run your virus checker (you DO have one right?)
    run it on that folder.
    (3) after it checks out OK, go to the folder you have put it in
    locate the file you just downloaded.
    (4) double click on it, this should start the installation process.
    It should tell you when it's done.

9. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Thank you for your patience. It worked.

10. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

You are welcome