1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
36,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Saltine American
7,213 Posts
I think by law, those idiots may have had a right to stop him. Doing it with weapons is stupid and I believe they should be found guilty of something.

The right thing for them to do is to call the police let them handle it.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
The right thing for them to do is to call the police let them handle it.
They did the right thing. The safe thing for them to do would have been call the police. A criminal is dead, the neighborhood is a little safer, and the left has to have their pound of flesh.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
They did the right thing. The safe thing for them to do would have been call the police. A criminal is dead, the neighborhood is a little safer, and the left has to have their pound of flesh.
I disagree. What they did was too close to the line of vigilantism- the wrong side of it. They didn’t witness Aubrey commit a crime, and didn’t have any reason to suspect that he was the one that committed the previous thefts other than that he was black and they didn’t recognize him.

It may have been reasonable to suspect that he was the guy, but not near enough to reasonable certainty to try to violently detain him. If they had the time to burn, which they apparently did, they should have, at most, followed him from a safe distance while on the phone to the police.

This case was a lot like the Zimmerman/Martin case right up until contact. As big a dumbass as Zimmerman was, he at least had the sense to only try to keep an eye on the subject of his suspicion. Trayvon Martin ambushed and attacked him. These yahoos tried to physically detain someone just because they thought he didn’t belong there.

If I’m ever in some random neighborhood where there once was an unsolved theft, and the locals try to physically detain me, there’s a dangerously strong chance that someone’s getting shot. If shooting them to stop the assault isn’t tactically sound, I’d sue them into the poorhouse for unlawful imprisonment.

If you’re going to take the leap to trying to physically detain another citizen, you’d better be damned sure you got the right guy. These POS’ didn’t have nearly enough to go on to try to arrest another man’s freedom.

·
Premium Member
29,098 Posts
Most of what I have read about the case says they saw Abery inside a house under construction on five previous occasions. They don't say if he ever was seen taking anything.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Most of what I have read about the case says they saw Abery inside a house under construction on five previous occasions. They don't say if he ever was seen taking anything.

My understanding is that they had video of him in the house on five occasions, but that it never shows him taking or damaging anything. Interestingly, they also have video of multiple other people (all white) going in and out of the house, which had been under construction and without doors for almost a year, and the only video they have of any damage or theft is from when some children stole plywood out of the garage.

The videos of Arbery in the house all show him appearing to be looking at how it was constructed- just like the white people were doing, which was apparently OK. It’s not generally acceptable to go looking around in a house that isn’t yours, even if it is unoccupied and unsecured, but people do it all the time, and it does not rise to the level of a citizen’s arrest.

The one significant crime in the area was a gun being stolen out of an unlocked truck, but they had no reason to suspect that Arbery did that. They had NOTHING to tie that to him, and they didn’t even see that he entered the house under construction that day (that wasn’t found out until the security video was reviewed later).

The bottom line is that these guys saw video of an average-build black guy looking around in an unoccupied house, and a gun had been stolen locally. Then, when they see an average-build black guy running down the street, some days/weeks later, they chase after him, gunned up, demanding that he stop and talk to them. When the average-build black guy had the gall to refuse to talk to them, they cornered him and tried to detain him at gun point. The average-build black guy tried to fight them off, and got shot and killed in the process.

Unless there is some significant missing piece, which would have come out by this point, these three asshats committed murder, should get the death penalty, and Arbery’s family should get everything they owned.

…and the multiple public officials who tried to get this murder swept under the rug should all be put up on Accessory charges.

·
Premium Member
29,098 Posts
@GunMonkeyIntl, thanks for the additional info.

Arbery had a criminal record which was supressed because even if he was a thief (the jogging bandit or running bandit, I forget which) there was no evidence he had taken anything this time, or even from anywhere in this neighborhood. Knowing there were others wandering the house which were never persued is an important bit of info.

·
Registered
36,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Didn't Arbery grab the barrel of a gun pointed at him?

Is that when he got shot?

·
Premium Member
29,098 Posts
Didn't Arbery grab the barrel of a gun pointed at him?

Is that when he got shot?
What would you do if a mob was holding you at gunpoint?

But yes, that was when he got shot.

Unlike the Rittenhouse case, the men after Arbery were instigators. They chased down an unarmed man who posed no threat to them.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
The very last thing I would do is grab the barrel.
That’s actually not a bad tactical response to having a gun pointed at you. It doesn’t always work out in your favor, but it does give you at least a chance at controlling where the muzzle is pointed. The bad guy can’t shoot you if he can’t get his gun pointed at you.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts