Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Thing/ motors that will work after an EMP.
At the airport TUGs that pull the bag carts to the plane, that have no computer, they like to keep them simple it is cheaper. They are almost like old tractors

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Hope you have lot of gas on hand to run an engine that survives.. Most gas pumps will be out of service..

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Hope you have lot of gas on hand to run an engine that survives.. Most gas pumps will be out of service..
You could always use a well bucket to punk up gas at a service stations.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
That they will, but would the store be selling gas? If not, Would you be willing to shoot at others to be the one that has the rights to it?

What I'm trying to get at is, if you're worrying about what will run after an EMP, you better be REAL prepared, because the chances of getting fuel after the EMP is going to be REAL slim... unless you start sucking the gas out of other vehicles and stuff..

I'd start thinking it's going to be a "Mad Max" kinda world after an EMP

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
I'm beginning to think one of those shallow well hand pumps might be in order.

I just yesterday filled up 12 gas cans, treated with Pri-G, bringing the total to 110 gallons. Figuring my tractor and small back-up generator are the only things I have that use gasoline we should be good for about 2 years. That's longer the we'd survive in a Mad Max world.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
What little I recall of the Mad Max rolling stock is gas guzzlers.....
When they filmed that madness they had to have a big fuel truck close by
So if it were to sink to a Mad Max sort of thing why would you even think of hitting the road..?
I can say that because I already live in the country-----

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
According to some emp tests that were run, If you remove the battery cables from the battery of a computerized car and touch them together for 15 seconds or so, 60% of computerized cars will recover and work again.
I'm not understanding how that could be since what an EMP does is actually fry the circuitry in the chips... All touching cables together would do is drain any capacitors...

Reactions: AngieM2

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
What little I recall of the Mad Max rolling stock is gas guzzlers.....
When they filmed that madness they had to have a big fuel truck close by
So if it were to sink to a Mad Max sort of thing why would you even think of hitting the road..?
I can say that because I already live in the country-----
No reason I'd ever leave either... Not only am I about as remote as you could hope for and also able to easily block my road, but I've also got an oil well and two 100 barrel tanks on my property.. Now all I need to do is learn how to distill gas from crude... but I do have lots of natural gas I could compress..

Reactions: BlueRose

·
Registered
356 Posts
Exactly correct. Apparently, it doesn't fry as many as thought.
Also, if a piece of electrical equipment is not connected to power and has been completely drained of a charge, it can survive an EM pulse, even without shielding.

Also, you don't need to go completely old-school with your transportation.
Most cars up through the 90s don't have computers that would still operate in "limp mode." the level of electronic services in the vehicle will dictate how well it will drive in limp mode. And many parts that would get damaged could be replaced with boxed parts (spark plugs, solenoid,etc), because the boxed parts would probably be fine since they have been sitting dormant in storage

·
Rocky Mountain Deserts
674 Posts
I wondered this about the TV series Jerico in the beginning.... the nanaites explained it in the end, but it still got me thinking. What about diesel engines? Making your own diesel is far easier than gasoline. Granted, most gasoline engines can be converted to alcohol, but unless you really know your mechanics - your gasoline engine is still going to run like crap. If I end up having to go that route, I sure hope my Dad is with me! Even after 20 years of stock car racing, the fuel / alcohol conversion theory eludes my understanding.
It is for this reason we have diesel engines to drive our water pumps and backup generators with spare electrical components to replace anything that gets fried. When you stop to think about it, diesel combustion comes from compression, not from a spark plug. It still doesn't explain why there were no motors in Jerico.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
The common knowledge is an EMP would fry the electricals in our modern vehicles, and I can understand how it would. However, I've also read about studies where engineers triggered an EMP like event on a very local scale to see what effects it would have on modern systems. In most every vehicle they tested it had almost no effect to the overall operation of the vehicle. Most would die, but would restart. I'm not an engineer, so I don't know what magnitude EMP they simulated vs what N Korea might have, but I was surprised by their results.

In any case, my 8n stays.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Unfortunately it is the little black box controlling the diesel that is the problem. I almost modified my truck diesel/black box . . but didn't.
Some body pointed out the potential problems with the modification.................

My diesel tractor is older so it has no dasterdly black box..........

'

·
Rocky Mountain Deserts
674 Posts
Dang, I need to be doing whatever yall are doing for a living. Either that, or stop buying old stuff that I know I can work on and fix so I can lease a newer vehicle. I guess having a crazy grandpa who was into antique tractors, being tight with his wallet, and irrigating his farm with gravity and water pumps built from converted tractor engines, gear boxes, and an Archimedes screw makes you think differently. I blame him for teaching me there is nothing you can't build from the scrap pile with a little bailing wire, a welder, and a leather belt.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
According to some emp tests that were run, If you remove the battery cables from the battery of a computerized car and touch them together for 15 seconds or so, 60% of computerized cars will recover and work again.
what test are you talking about?
EMP does is actually fry the circuitry, is a lot like a lighting bolt.
the longer any wires are the more the buildup of the pulse.
it will not just drain the battery if the battery is on the line it will fry too.

So old cars have less wires and the circuitry if it has any is more robust.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts