A symptom of Pink Eye???

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by astrocow, Apr 22, 2006.

1. astrocow

astrocow Well-Known Member

I started a differant thread about bulging eyes in my two cows on HT and a couple other sites and have been getting the same response-pink eye.
    The problem I have with accepting that their protruding eyeballs are caused by pink eye is the complete lack of all other symptoms associated with the disease.
    They don't keep their eyes closed, sunlight doesn't bother them at all, there is no weeping, no cloudiness of their cornea. Nothing else seems wrong, abnormal, out of the ordinary with these two other than their eyes just one day started protruding. I've read many articles on pink eye, the last one being about winter pink eye and have googled pop eye, bulging eyes, protruding eyes and I keep coming up with articles about pink eye. The only part of the pink eye disease that leads to the pop eye is after the eye has ulcerated and fluid begins to leak from the eye. My cows haven't had any ulcers. I'd be able to see them right? And what are the chances that all four eyes would be affected simultaneously?
    My cows each have a name and are called each day to come to the fence and they are scratched, given treats and checked over. They are closely looked at at least 3 times each day. If there are any changes we notice right away. That is why I can't understand why I'm pointed at Pink eye. Am I missing something?

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I suggest you call a vet, we can only help so much and a vet might have a better grip on the situation at hand. We had a Jersey with big bulging eyes, but she always had them. I can only think of an overactive thyroid, much like a human, but if this all of a sudden happened, perhaps its something else. My thought would be somethin internal, not to scare you, perhaps "brain worms", not sure if that causes eyes to bulge or not. Either way, give a vet a call, have him/her take a look and see whats up. It is what I would do if I was concerned.

Jeff

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

It has been pretty warm around here this spring. Perfect conditions for face flies and others to spread something. It does seem strange for all four eyes at the same time. Are you feeding them grain? Have you looked through the hay carefully for different types of plants? Are they eating in the woods? So many possibilities.

4. astrocow

They are in a pen off the side of their pasture in the woods. A very small cleared area with a few balsam, spruce and maple. I've scoured the area and there's no other vegetation. We put them there because they are having calves soon. Actually one had a healthy calf last night. It's dry and cleaner for calving there. What ever it was I think it was in their hay. It must be leaving their systems because their eyes are about 50% better today. Not protruding as much.
    I've talked to farmers around and they asked if they were bloated too and I said no. They don't have any ideas either. Last time I wanted a vet out here he said he'd come when he got another call out my way. I waited 2 or 3 months then called a second time and he didn't have any other calls but felt bad for making me wait so came out. He's out of cell phone range in my area and there aren't as many people my way that have animals.
    I'm sorry for being such a pest on this site I was just really worried with something like this. Buggy eyes are differant when the animal is born with them but when 2 large "pets" suddenly show up at the fence looking the way these two did, well it was unnerving. Especially since one was due to calve yesterday and the other due May 12.
    I really appreciated everyone's ideas and my intention was certainly not to cut the ideas down but to question them to get a better understanding.

5. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is too generic of an explanation, but I remember my vet telling me that one way you can tell pink eye cattle is with the pupil. He said it looks like a volcano in the eye. Maybe that is what you are describing with the bulging eyes.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Does this copy and paste info shed any light on your cow problem?

Eye disease resulting from infectious bovine rhinotracheitis (IBR) virus or vitamin A deficiency may superficially resemble pinkeye, but there are differences in the visible signs of the diseases. IBR causes conjunctivitis and leads to a thick, yellow discharge from the eye, but does not usually cause the corneal ulceration seen in pinkeye. Vitamin A deficiency results in excessive watering of the eye, night blindness, and may cause cloudiness of the cornea in severe cases, giving the eyeball a dry, lusterless appearance.

PS......prolonged periods of drought or lengthy periods of feeding hay can create this problem. A massive dose of vitamin A could correct the situation.
    ......the eye watering does not occur in the early stages!

7. astrocow

I recall reading that quote on another site. The reason I dismissed it was due to the lack of watery eyes. They have been fed hay for an extended period of time.
    Thanks