A success story...its not all bad!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ozark_jewels, Dec 14, 2006.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Well.....people get on here and get depressed by all the sad stories and problems they read about.....its not actually that goats have so many problems, its just that we don't go around writing threads about our healthy, happy goats as much as we do our problems when we need help. :) How about a success story now??
    This is Ozark Jewels LB Winterberry. When she was a month old, she was having fun jumping around and caught her leg in a tree about 2' off the ground. No one was around and the poor girl hung in the tree with just two feet on the ground for several hours before I found her at feeding time. By then her right leg was completely broken in two directly below her shoulderblade. We gently removed her leg from the tree where it was stuck, splinted her leg and gave her comfrey and extra calcium for the next two months. She managed to free her leg from the splint after two weeks but continued to heal well. Also left her on milk for five months to speed healing. She is completely healed now and has an only barely perceptable limp when she walks. She is due to be bred this month. Here she is yesterday afternoon. She just feels SOOOO GOOD!! :) :) Winterberry is the black doeling with the wide white belt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BasicLiving

BasicLiving Well-Known Member

Wow! She looks like she's doing great! She's beautiful. Thanks for sharing that success story!

Penny

3. dap

dap lilsparrow

She's beautiful! Love those pictures, too! :)

4. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Heehee - in that third picture down she's showing off her ears to all those poor 'earless' goats! The one behind her looks a bit revolted, the one on her right is saying, 'Aw, I want some!', and the one in front of her has decided to moon her out of spite. ROTFL.

:bouncy: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Niki

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL!! Never looked at it that way but you may be right....... :shrug: :) I'll have to ask RePete, Red Velvet and Dairy Queene...... :p

6. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Great to hear a story with a positive ending..

7. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

My husband says that he understands how Winterberry broke her leg - says that in all the photos she's the only one that's blurry in each one, lol. (I think he means she's 'high spirited' and perhaps inclined to mischief, lol).....I just LOVE girls this age - I've got five and they can lift my spirits no matter what the day brings - they are just so silly.

Niki

8. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

She sure looks healthy and happy - and got to love those ears flapping in the breeze!

Lynda

9. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

That's great. Little Moose has a busted hock and has been in a splint for weeks now. He's 13 weeks old. May get the splint off tomorrow. The last X-ray showed he was healing beautifully.

Darn...I still have to get a pic of him posted here. I'll get some this weekend. He's the little boer that weighed 2 pounds when he was born. Now he's huge...still on bottles.

Ruth

10. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

How Wonderful. It Is Great Tosee How Playful She Is, I Agree I Bet She Is Full Of Spit Fire. Of Cource It Had A Lot To Do Wit Hyou Being Such A Great Mom. Congratulations

11. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

Beautiful pictures. I agree that, of course! she had to be the one injured, looking at the way she is cavorting around, you know she had to try to jump something unjumpable... :) Nice to see a success story!

12. roneil76

roneil76 Banjo Makin' Farmer Dad

Great pictures and a wonderful story. She is a good lookin' doe also.

13. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

I love it when things work out like that! Thanks for sharing the story (and the pics) Ya just gotta love those long ears flapping.. lol

Kaza