A sturdy No trespassing sign post?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oilpatch197, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

What is the best way to put up "NO TRESPASSING" signs around my property, and sturdy enough that people can't vandalize them?
    there are some ATV trails thru the land, and if somone gets hurt, I don't want to be liable.

I'm thinking about using some 3" pipe and concrete it into the ground, and put plexiglas over the sign to prevent damage(but it may be used as target practice still!)

2. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

Not sure where you are located but round here (MO) there is a color of purple paint you spray on tree, post, whatever that is suppose to now be the US No tresspassing color. Supposidly enforcible in court.

3. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Sounds like a strong sign to me! Might drop a tree across the path also.

Its terrible these days that you have to post land your land to protect your self from being sued by someone that hurt them selves or what ever other stupid things people do.As an ATV rider myself i can surely relate to both sides.Sence seeing some of the dumb things other riders do,i dont blam people for not wanting use on there land.Some freinds and i have lost several good riding spots in the last year or so just because of some of the fool things other riders have done.(mostly unsupervised kids which really ticks me off).Doesn't a sign that says stay out of the beans say more than just that?(apparently not to some people because now it says no trespassing) :waa: Idiots!
    Just make sure your sign doesnt get tore down.It needs to be there to warn the honest riders that there not welcome there.That either dont no its privately owned or cant find you to ask.
    Which from my experience usually gets a no i dont want to be held liable answer anyway. :( With TVA and the Forest service posting all the land here.We dont have anywhere legal to ride anymore.Which is going to just keep causeing problems untill our state gets there tumb out from there rear and opens some places.Its always the same old crap with them arosion arsion arsion.Well dang doesnt all them waves aginst the river banks from them big wigs party boats cause more than our tires ever could.Or how about all the new construction and plowing river bottoms to grow crops.ah poo here i go agin.Sorry! :rolleyes:

Anyway a no trespassing sign doesn't mean much to some people.But A tire hazard sign does to people that have seen them before. :D If your no trespassing signs are not enough i would try posting T/H signs,and then actually doing it if they persist to come on your property.Some berried boards with big nails does a fairly good job.
    But some sharpened tent stacks will completely ruin there tires! :yeeha:
    People that continue to trespass after land is posted deserve it! ;)

4. Oilpatch197

Illinois.

I'm getting Oilwell casing pipe and weld a 1/4" steel rectangle on it and rivet some plexiglass between the sign and steel, I've found one of these signs, should protect me from everyone

[​IMG]

5. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

If you own the property paint it on the trees. May be ugly but pretty vandal resistant.

mikell

6. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Before I bought my property, it was a popular hunting ground. It ticked alot of hunters off when I posted signs. But some of them just didn't think that the signs applied to them. As they were crusing through my land, I barricaded their route out, and called the police. The police caught up with them on the highway (they had to find anohter way out) I did not charge them,but did tell them to spread the word that the next guy is getting charged. I haven't had a problem since.

7. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Same thing is true in Texas

8. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

If your main concern is liability issues, check to see if your state has a recreational use statute like this:

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/resources/repository/Illinois_Recreational_Use_Statute.htm

Basically it means that if you allow people to use your land for recreational acitivities, you cannot be held liable for their accidents.

Since I found out about this law, I worry a lot less about letting people use my place for hunting, fishing, atv's etc.

Jena

9. John_in_Houston

That's a useful site, they also had the corresponding Texas statute:

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/resources/repository/Texas_Recreational_Use_Statute.htm

10. Oilpatch197

Great, maybe I don't have to put up the EVIL "NO TRESPASSING" signs everywhere!

this is great.
    Now I guess I just need a sign that says "NO LITTERING On PROPERTY" because every week end I find at least 2 24 packs of empty bear cans that the Riders consume.
    So I wonder why everyone else slaps up POSTED signs by ATV trails?
    as long as you stay off their property during Deer season, I have no problem riding their trails with the signs up. :D

11. insanity

Yep post some of those up(maybe they will stop and think about it! If not atleast they can curse them selves when you close it completely).Or maybe someone else like myself may help you keep it clean.
    Im also a fishermen.So i see and pick up lots of trash.Wish these idiots would get it threw there heads,that this gets property taken away quicker than anything else. :no:

I absolutely hate picking up other peoples crap.But if you would like to keep an area open its better than leaving it for the owner to find. :(

LOL by the way i love your sign!
    Mine reads like normal except for (or Shot) part at the end.
    This one is posted in front of my shed,ment to warn would be thieves.Shoot first bury them in the garden later! :D

12. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Regarding the trash thrown by users of private property, just yesterday a person that I let fish stopped by the house for a chat. He commented " have you seen any trash left by us?" My answer, " You are still fishing aren"t you?" I no longer have anyone hunting without paying for the right for the very reason of littering. I even chase people down on the state road and tell them to pick up what they threw out or I will give their license plate number to the law and file to prosecute. There is just no damn reason for the attitude that prevails!

13. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

14. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I found using crime scene tape hanging in taters from my trees and regular discharge of my firearms in my private shooting range to keep neighbors at bay effective . Have also considered buying a few goat skulls and pentagram decorations as people dont seem to heed the standard no trespass signs. My deputy friend advised against the satanic worship motif , although he thought it creative. and replaced my yellow No trespass signs with official Sheriffs Dept signs instead. He also took away my tattered crime scene tape that I found laying out on the highway . :)

15. insanity

LMAO off crime scene tape!
    Now just spray paint some safety orange strips across the field like you where marking tire tracks! Burn a little circle in the grass about the size of an ATV.And then shoot a quart can of red paint with a 12gauge right next to the circle. :D

16. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Jena
    The law you are talking about is caput. The Ill. supreme court ruled that it only aplies if you alow everyone access instead of people of your choice. Contact Bill Blacks office in Danville or talk to the Farm Bureau and get the info. It is suposed to come up in the fall sesion to be changed. If you can't find the info PM me and I will dig up the Uof I law website that discussed it.
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

17. CoonXpress

CoonXpress Well-Known Member

Oilpatch, I think the atv riders got the some feeling that you do about no- trespassing signs;
    http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?p=539351#post539351

After lurking for over a year, found something so ironic that I just had to put my two cents in. :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

18. John_in_Houston

It is always different when it is your property, eh?

:haha:

19. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Trespassing signs are usually ignored, but when I was growing up in Iowa, people got to using old tires with NO TRESPASSING printed on them in white paint. Bolt them up good and they are nearly impervious to being shot up or ripped down.

Jay, I like the crime scene tape idea. I think some old animal bones kinda wired together and hung from a tree might be interesting also. If you can get people thinking you just stepped out of "Deliverance", thats more effective than any sign.

20. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

I wonder what they would think if you bought a human skeleton and hung it by the neck at the drinking spot with a message like, "who wants to be next?" :haha: :haha: :haha:

Where did y'all find those lovely signs? I want to buy the one quoting the US Supreme Court and the Constitution for my sister for Christmas. I want the other one for myself and another friend whose dogs are teacup poodles. :haha: :haha: :haha: Her husband will love it! ]

TXlightningbug :yeeha: