A stupid woman question...

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by dlangland, Oct 8, 2005.

1. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

But I know you guys will know. My Skil Saw fried out so my father took it back with him out-of-state to hopefully repair it. What is the thickest wood I can cut with my jig-saw...talking 2 x 10's. I was in the middle of building raised wood beds, and I don't want to borrow someone's saw in case I would wreck it. I also assume I wouldn't want to use the saw blades I normally use for like woodwork, so I doubt I have any heavy duty blades around anyway. Thank you. It's easier to ask strangers then a real man who would laugh at me. Deb

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I'd suggest that you go out and buy yourself a good handsaw. It is MUCH less frustrating and faster using the handsaw than trying to cut 2-inch stock with a jigsaw. Besides, unless you have a top of the line jigsaw, you'll probably burn yours out after a few cuts on a 10-inch board.

3. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Thank you so much. In fact, I have a brand new handsaw, and had thought of that. I was just wondering if I had enough shoulder to handle that, though. And that is what I figured...I don't want to waste and ruin my jigsaw, too.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

There is No such critter as A stupid Question.Only wrong answers. So don't feel out of place, You were given good advice too. But how about A good table saw?? that will last for quite A few projects.

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............I have a Milwaukee JS and it will "jig" right on thru any 2x whatever size board that I choose to cut . You can buy blades of different length and # of teeth that will work . Just use a blade with sufficient length that still has some blade left below the bottom of the board when the travel of the "up" stroke reaches it's highest point , that way when it starts back down it won't Hit the board .
    .............One other point....the difference in Blade "motion" when cutting Wood...vs...Metal....a wood setting will cause the blade to move down and forward on the upstroke so it is always reaching out for a bite when cutting..
    .............................A metal setting will cause the blade to saw "flat" or in a straight Up and Down motion vs the "reaching out" method for wood .
    ............................You will also notice that wood blades have larger gaps between the teeth in general whereas metal cutting blades will have a very high Tooth count ..."per inch".... All quality jigsaws will have a switch to set for wood vs metal for specific cutting .
    ..............................I take the time to tell you this info because , Your ARM is going to be Very sore from using a hand saw , UNless you , of course , do a lot of Bench press :shrug: , etc . The other down side is that you won't beable to keep your little finger pointed at the correct social angle :nerd: when sipping your "wine" when you and the girls go out for pizza and whatever . fordy... :nana: :)

6. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

You guys are so very good to me. Thank you. and yes, I do know about the teeth in the saw blades...There was just this one time when I sawed half-way through my own thumb with a saber saw...so saws scare me in the first place.

7. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

fordy is correct.

Simple answer: go to your hardware store as ask for long or extra long wood blades. They probably will come two to a pack and work great.

I just finished cutting round ends on several 2x8 with no problems.

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........Handsaws are eXtremely dangerous items , and can do as much or more damage "quickly" as a power saw . be careful we don't want bandaids stuck Too your keyboard . fordy... :dance:

9. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

For Two Years All We Had Was My Son's Jigsaw Around Here. Then He Moved To Another State And Took It W/him. So I Bought A Skill Saw.
    Cant Use Either One, But I Understand The Preference For A Jig Saw, A Widow I Know Who Is 79 Builds/repairs Her Stuff W/ajig Saw. Now That We Have Had A Lesson In Jigs, I Am Ready To Go Buy A Jig. Skillsaws Are Scary.

Thank You All For Answering Her So Well.

Mom

10. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

A real man wouldn't laugh at you for this. If you are just cross cutting I'd use a handsaw.

11. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A good high quality jigsaw will cut just fine but seriously use the handsaw, especially as you already have it new!

12. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I put up a roof last year, cutting the 'birds throats' in 2x6 boards with a jigsaw. It took a while, and I did have to stop every now and then to keep my saw from self-destructing, but I was able to get it done eventually.

13. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

You've gotten a couple of recommendations to get a handsaw. The problem is that the average handsaw sold today isn't really a usable tool. There are good ones made, but a good new one would probably cost $40 on up. There are lots of good old saws available, but it is easy to buy a junker instead of a good saw. And then you may need to sharpen a used one, or find one to sharpen it for you. Good luck on that. I sharpen my own, and have learned over many years how to tell which saws might be worth buying, but it may be hard to tell.
    http://www.vintagesaws.com/ may have enough information to totally confuse you about handsaws.

14. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

a good skilsaw circular saw is only 39 bucks at lowes...

with a new blade.

save yourself the work....

since your there buy a sawzall, youll love that too.

ya just cant enjoy working without proper tools.