Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a story it is set in a post apocalyptic America (specifically southern il) I want work animals. They would be lugging work, fire wood and so on. Also dragging carts and plowing fields, not a lot of actual riding. The question I have is wold horses or donkeys be a better chose? Donkeys have better feed efficiency, horses handle cold better. I don't know if ether has less over all health problems then the other. Any opinions on this?

pleas for give spelling problems English is hard

·
Registered
74 Posts
They can aquire mules at the onset of SHTF and carry them through about 35 years. I'm guessing your book doesn't span longer than that.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are oxen a viable choice?
yes oxen are viable but only in the sense of ox as trained male cows, not special breed Ox. The story will be placed in Sothern IL in the area i live. Angus cows are what is raised here would they be ok Oxen

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
yes oxen are viable but only in the sense of ox as trained male cows, not special breed Ox. The story will be placed in Sothern IL in the area i live. Angus cows are what is raised here would they be ok Oxen
Oxen are not a special breed-- just steers (bulls castrated at a young age) maintained past slaughter age.....Horses, mules, oxen all have to be trained to do the work.

Oxen would be best workers and most feed/water efficient.....Hollywood has spread mis-info about horses--- the great wagon trains that spread Americans across the west were pulled by oxen, not horses. Horses don't have the stamina nor do they do as well in dry conditions.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
I, too, would go for mules. Transportation will always be needed and they're really smart.

problem is the post apocalyptic colony can't breed Mules
You'll have to explain that statement to me - I don' understand why not.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mules are the offspring of a male donkey and female horse. They are born infertile due to having different numbers of chromosomes.

·
Premium Member
41,565 Posts
Mules are the offspring of a male donkey and female horse. They are born infertile due to having different numbers of chromosomes.
What’s very strange is when a male horse breeds a female donkey you get a “Henny” which is like a mule but can’t be trained.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
In order to breed for mules in this post-apo world (assuming it is to be a nidus for a continuing new world and we're not just worrying about the 90 minute movie made from the book) they'd have to maintain a population of horses AND donkeys in order to have a continuing supply of mules., then continue to feed & water horses, donkeys AND mules.....Why not have just horses, OR donkeys?...

They'd still want to maintain a herd of cattle for food (BEEF- It's what's for dinner)...So why not maintain ONLY a herd of cattle which can supply all their needs?...

Cattle, being ruminants, are also much less finicky eaters. Easier to put up hay for them. No worries about colic.

You can wear a belt. You can wear suspenders...Do you need them both?

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
What’s very strange is when a male horse breeds a female donkey you get a “Henny” which is like a mule but can’t be trained.
I'm not sure where you got your information about a hinny being unable to be trained. When we were showing, there was a lovely gaited hinny ridden in several classes and she always placed well in the ribbons!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so at this point i will probably go with horses for ridding and Ox for work

1 - 16 of 16 Posts